How To Sway bar removal, DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol ok besides launching like a top fuel dragster, I hear people comparing the ride to a trophy truck type ride in some ways and if you notice when they accelerate even slightly one side rises from the torque. I know it's not exactly like a trophy truck I was just curious about that particular feature.

Dave

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never noticed it... Then again I don't launch my Raptor like a top fuel dragster..

-Greg

Lol I'm still laughing at this! You mean you don't stage at every light and race the Honda civics and Ford Taurus's in the quarter mile?? I guess it's just me??

Dave

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I never noticed mine twisting up like that when I accelerated hard. The body roll isn't that pronounced with it off though. it's more, but not 3 wheel action type of more.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never noticed mine twisting up like that when I accelerated hard. The body roll isn't that pronounced with it off though. it's more, but not 3 wheel action type of more.

Ok thanks that pretty much answers it for me. Still gonna do it but thanks for the info.

Dave

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question...can I remove the end links and leave the bar in place? Will the sway bar flop around without the end links attached? It's hot out and I don't want to lay on the black asphalt...

Just leave the bar in place and remove 1 end link. The bar stays up and out of the way but is no longer connected to both sides therefore it does nothing. I have mine like this currently. That said, I'm with the others. I think the truck works better without it so I'll just remove it completely when I get under there next time.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonight was time for removal of the sway bar. I wanted to remove this for this weekends Raptor Run.

Removal of the sway bar will allow the L or R suspension components to operate individually instead of being tied together with the sway bar. In an off road environment this is what I want.

The sway bar is great for street driving and I'm not sure how it will feel on the street for the 4 days before his weekend, so we'll see.....

Removal is a 5-10 minute job and just requires basic metric hand tools.

This is the top of the sway bar end link, just stick your head inside the wheel well and you will have room to remove the nut.

0001-1.jpg

For the rest of the removal jump on the ground and slide under the truck.

Now remove the lower sway bar end link:

On the passenger side you can loosen the sway bar nuts, don't remove them all the way, you don't want the sway bar to fall.

On the driver side remove both nuts, there is also a heat shield that must be removed too to revel another bolt to be removed.

0002-2.jpg

Remove this heat shield bolt, it will help make the shield move around easier and not bind up.

0003-1.jpg

Remove the heat shield or move to the side to reveal the last bolt that holds the sway bar on.

0004.jpg

Re install the heat shield on the driver side and your all done.

You can also remove the sway bar bolts on the passenger side, they slide right out.

Now you have a pile of parts that look like this:

photo3.jpg

I'm going to remove my sway bar today, in the 1st photo after you take that nut do you also remove the silver looking rod below? Also when putting the hear shield bolt does it need to be torqued or just snugged up good and tight?

Dave

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sway bar removed. I can't believe how easy it was! If I could have found the little gadget that connects a socket to an impact wrench it defiantly would have been a 5-10 minute job. After a quick run around the block I'm very happy so far.

Dave

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Sway bar removed. I can't believe how easy it was! If I could have found the little gadget that connects a socket to an impact wrench it defiantly would have been a 5-10 minute job. After a quick run around the block I'm very happy so far.

Dave

Go find yourself a good bump to hit at a 45 degree angle. that'll really show you the benefit of removing it.