Who would have thought Ford would be over 10 years ahead of their time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like jeep and ram (Stellantis) (seriously a joke of a ******* name for a car company) finally made the turn. After the tundra flipped.

Let it be known Ford implemented this tech and now everyone is jumping on their coat tails and fielding GDI twin turbs. Good job ford. I do like that this one is inline.

Attachments

• 1E8DE8AC-E92C-4A1B-88D2-83B266F032F6.jpeg
    1E8DE8AC-E92C-4A1B-88D2-83B266F032F6.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 285

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Oh goodie. Another engine that makes more horsepower than the raptor. This time it is a six cylinder. Lol

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In-line is an interesting choice. Be cool to see how the horsepower and torque curves look compared to the v6.

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that Ford pioneered when it comes to turbo engines is the silly name. Ecoboost was lightning in a bottle for Ford and everyone else needed to follow suit as non-car people started referring to all turbo engines as ecoboost.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that Ford pioneered when it comes to turbo engines is the silly name. Ecoboost was lightning in a bottle for Ford and everyone else needed to follow suit as non-car people started referring to all turbo engines as ecoboost.
Honestly never heard anyone refer to any other turbo car as an 'ecoboost' much less a 'non-car person. In my experience, non-car people don't even know how many cylinders a car has.

I am actually pretty stoked for this turbo inline 6. I have a similar engine in my Land Rover Defender and it is just great for hauling around a big, fat SUV. Does pretty well on fuel too at 19mpg in mixed driving.

TrailRunner

Reaction score
Looks like jeep and ram (Stellantis) (seriously a joke of a ******* name for a car company) finally made the turn. After the tundra flipped.

Let it be known Ford implemented this tech and now everyone is jumping on their coat tails and fielding GDI twin turbs. Good job ford. I do like that this one is inline.
Haven’t the Europeans been running tiny twin turbo engines for a while now?

I’m honestly not super sure how I feel about the trend. On one hand, I feel like naturally aspirated engines are boring and leaving a lot of performance potential untapped. On the other hand, I’ve always been wary of turbos because of reliability issues and turbo lag. What I’d love to see is a modest-sized V8 with a factory supercharger… mechanically simple, reliable, and instant torque.

Last edited:

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven’t the Europeans been running tiny twin turbo engines for a while now?

I’m honestly not super sure how I feel about the trend. On one hand, I feel like naturally aspirated engines are boring and leaving a lot of perform untapped. On the other hand, I’ve always been wary of turbos because of reliability issues and turbo lag. What I’d love to see is a modest-sized V8 with a factory supercharger… mechanically simple, reliable, and instant torque.
Are you just being sarcastic? Pretty sure GM (& yes now “Stellantis” has been churning out plenty of V8s w/ factory installed roots-type blowers for quite a while. GMs putting a blown V8 into the damn Escalade next lol!!

Toyota used to sell the tundra w/ factory SC option (altho dealer installed I think?)

2011 was the first year Ford put an eco boost engine into a truck, but it really was BMW that got the industry geared toward smaller displacement twin turbos w/ better efficiency & reduced lag starting in 2006 w/ their N54 engine

They were also kinda the Guinea pigs in terms of finding out why GDI shouldn’t really be the sole form of fuel injection on a turbo motor long term lol-