What size Deaver w/stock front

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I measured my standard duty deaver springs the other day
about 350lbs in the bed made a 1/2” drop in rear ride height

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m eyeballing the +2 SD as I don’t have plans to change anything up front and won’t be hauling more than the weight of my tonneau cover (80 lb for the Diamondback) an ARB fridge (55 lb), a 60” hi lift jack (31 lb), tool bag (20 lb) and CO2 tank (30 lb) and a likely under bed mounted second battery (60-80 lb). So with 290 lb over the rear end all the time I think SD will be fine. I guess I should be looking at my potential load with my bike rack and bikes on the hitch and camping gear. I don’t think it’ll be much over 600 lb, and I can see running the truck really hard offroad with bikes on the hitch. Most of the time my truck will be a daily driver where the ARB fridge and second battery are essential kit.

flynford

Reaction score
Two questions...

1. How much sag would one experience putting 500lbs in the SD vs. the HD? I know what it says on websites (i.e. https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/rear-leaf-springs/), but I'm hoping for real-world examples. I don't have upgraded front springs yet, but want to increase some capacity in the back end without making the rake look crazy. I am currently sitting at about 1.5 inches of rake.
2. Is the ride of the HD unloaded super harsh, or just marginally stiffer than SD?

Thanks all!!

Hello,
Having 500lbs with HDs would provide a slightly higher ride height with 500lbs than the SDs. Not a huge difference overall but again depending on how the weight is placed (e.g. near the cab, equally displaced, or tongue weight on the tow hitch) will usually yield marginally less lowering as of a result of the weight. Keep in-mind with the truck unloaded, as the website suggests that it on averages yields ~3/4" of more height but when comparing when loaded you're talking something less than that but depending on the age/time of the springs (All springs will settle a little in time with use/cycling but the difference is the quality of the spring material will determine how much. Deavers hold their height very well as compared to others that are/were available for the Raptor.) So you may see less than 3/4" difference with the same load in height difference with HDs yielding a little more height.

As the website suggest, the HDs are ideal for guys who have ~500lbs of 'static' weight in the truck at all times. Thus the general recommendation is to go with HDs when you have the dual-tire/shock mount RST kits(Fuel cans, offroad jack, tool-boxes, ice-chest) that easily add up to 500lbs, some other items like most chase trucks have, over-landing gear, or etc. something that is bolted down in the truck's bed 80% or more of the time.

If you don't always have that sort of weight at all times, only worried about temporary duties like towing travel trailers, load of soil/bricks/etc from the hardware/landscaping store runs, or etc. then I'd say go with the +3 SD springs if plan to effectively lift the front a little later on. As with repeated use, settle in nicely and on average have the right rake whether loaded/not. Otherwise go with +2 SD and leave the front end alone. I believe that you won't like the Ride quality of HDs unloaded. Everyone is a little different but my input is based on maintaining the Raptor ride quality that you're accustomed to know & I'm sure love. Hope this help?!!?!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m eyeballing the +2 SD as I don’t have plans to change anything up front and won’t be hauling more than the weight of my tonneau cover (80 lb for the Diamondback) an ARB fridge (55 lb), a 60” hi lift jack (31 lb), tool bag (20 lb) and CO2 tank (30 lb) and a likely under bed mounted second battery (60-80 lb). So with 290 lb over the rear end all the time I think SD will be fine. I guess I should be looking at my potential load with my bike rack and bikes on the hitch and camping gear. I don’t think it’ll be much over 600 lb, and I can see running the truck really hard offroad with bikes on the hitch. Most of the time my truck will be a daily driver where the ARB fridge and second battery are essential kit.
An ARB Elements fridge with slider and tie downs weighs approx 110 lbs empty. Add food and beverages and you’ll be even heavier.

RaptorLF18

Reaction score
I measured my standard duty deaver springs the other day
about 350lbs in the bed made a 1/2” drop in rear ride height

How is the daily driving without any weight in the back? I'm considering these same springs, I tow a fishing boat and would like to keep the sag to a minimum.

flynford

Reaction score
How is the daily driving without any weight in the back? I'm considering these same springs, I tow a fishing boat and would like to keep the sag to a minimum.

+2 SD. +3 SD for long term considerations but avoid the HDs if you don't have ~500lbs 'static/permanent' weight

Peterb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
daily street driving standard deavers is at least as comfortable as stock leaves