The Synthetic Switch - Blend First?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IH-Scout_800A

Reaction score
Running Amzoil in all 3 chambers in the FLTR....I still change my air cooled crank and primary oils at 3K. Tranny at 6K. Even with full synthetic. ///// Back to the Raptor.... Generally speaking I still believe that you will be MORE that ok with ANY good quality oil as long as you change it at regular intervals. Like I said...I am going with the $35 Semi Blend specials my stealership runs all the time. I think I will have to pay for the one extra quart on the raptor. No biggie.

ifixcopcars

Reaction score
The original Motorcraft oil that came in the engine is a synthetic blend. It is a very good quality product. Motorcraft also makes a full synthetic that came in my Shelby, I still use it, costs less than most of the specialty name brands and has the same or better ratings

ifixcopcars

Reaction score
$177!! WOW, JP7, my dealer does my Shelby with full synthetic Motorcraft oil and the FL820 racing filter for $69. You need to find a new dealer

Last edited:

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
$177!! WOW, JP7, my dealer does my Shelby with full synthetic Motorcraft oil and the FL820 racing filter for $69. You need to find a new dealer

Welcome to Canada.
I got a quote from them to change the front and rear diff's - $450.
I can remember buying a rebuilt Dana 44 for less than that 20 years ago!!

When I last changed my oil, the filter and oil ran just over $80.00 for full synthetic. A little surprising considering Alberta produces a lot of this countries oil...

SERG09

Hi Ho Silver
Reaction score
I'm torn on this and making the switch. Allow me to tell you a story...

A long time ago, we had a Ford Explorer. We ran what the factory recommended at that time, whatever it was. Something happened in the engine and the engine had to be replaced under warranty. They sampled the oil to be sure that it was "within specs" for amount and type.

Fast forward to now-a-days. I was talking to my service adviser buddy and he stated that if there is any engine trouble that requires parts or whatever to be replaced, the first thing they do is check the oil for amount and type. He said that to be on the safe side -- run the factory 5w-20 Synthetic Blend from Motorcraft (sure, it could have been some BS marketing ploy) or possibly work could be voided on the engine for warranty.

I'll definitely take the time to research this before I come back in here and say more, but I just wanted to share my experience and what I've been told. I am sure that there is something in writing about this someplace.

Please discuss.
Any assertion by a dealer that oil type is cause for warranty denial must meet the following statute - Magnuson

fostercd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I believe the newer raptors come with synthetic in them from the dealership. My manual for my S Crew recommends an oil change every 7,500 miles.

I haven't taken mine in yet for an oil change, however I do know most dealers will offer you a coupon for a tire rotation and oil change if you sign up for their rarely read but received email lists. I know about every other month I get coupons. The last coupon I got is below.

THE WORKS. AN SYNTHETIC OIL CHANGE AND MORE. $64.95 AFTER $10 REBATE.
Featuring Motorcraft® Full Synthetic Oil and more, including: • Oil change • Tire rotation • Brake inspection • Multi-point Inspection • Fluid top-off • Battery test • Filter check • Belts and hoses check No Appointment Necessary.
Retail purchases only. Up to five quarts of Motorcraft® oil and Motorcraft oil filter. Taxes, diesel vehicles, and disposal fees extra. Hybrid battery test excluded. Rebate form must be submitted by 4/30/11. See Service Advisor for vehicle exclusions and rebate details . Offer valid with coupon.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score

I just picked up 7 quarts of Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend and a Bosch premium oil filter for the first oil change on the Raptor... $37 and change.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I just picked up 7 quarts of Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend and a Bosch premium oil filter for the first oil change on the Raptor... $37 and change.

I'm driving down to Reno in April. Wonder what the customs officials will say with me driving back with a few 55gallon drums of synthetic in the back bed...