Multiple catalytic converter failures in multiple vehicles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of the stations also have “no ethanol “ fuel available ?

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Not related….. whitefish is beautiful and great powder. Hope to have a ski condo there soon. You are lucky.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
What if it's female pipes? I hear those are a thing now.
“That chick is great pipes” - IOW, she has an awesome voice.

I think what you’re referring to is ’That chick has the wrong plumbing’.

Or doing the drug tests in the Marine Corps.
No. That is totally not ok.

OP
OP
Gary Gere

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of the stations also have “no ethanol “ fuel available ?
I exclusively use "no ethanol top tier" fuel with at least 91 octane (all they have in Montana) - in Canada I can find 93 and 94 octane fuel.
Also what kind of oil are you using?
All service has been done by the Ford dealer - I have the oil changed every 3000 to 4000 miles - I have them use Mobil-1 full synthetic oil (which they stock)
Its something in your local environment and or fuel stations.
I thought the same thing and I mentioned this to the service manager and to the tech who is working on the truck - they said the fuel I'm using is not an issue but I think you are correct.
The only variables is your fuel sources, especially with 3 vehicles all experiencing the same failure. High sulfur content in fuel is unfortunately common; it sulfates the catalyst and causes efficiency DTCs to set.
I believe you are correct - I said this to the service tech - I am going to mention what you said to them again - I'm using name brand non ethanol top tier fuel which is commonly available in this state (Exxon / Conoco / Cenex / Chevron) - the dealer claims nobody else is having this problem and "they all use the same fuel" -- I have the 10 year 175,000 mile ESP warranty so there is that
whitefish is beautiful and great powder. Hope to have a ski condo there soon. You are lucky.
I live between Whitefish and Eureka - moved here in 2012 - unfortunately after "covid" people started moving here from California and they want to change Montana - its frustrating and disappointing.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you are correct - I said this to the service tech - I am going to mention what you said to them again - I'm using name brand non ethanol top tier fuel which is commonly available in this state (Exxon / Conoco / Cenex / Chevron) - the dealer claims nobody else is having this problem and "they all use the same fuel" -- I have the 10 year 175,000 mile ESP warranty so there is that

I live between Whitefish and Eureka - moved here in 2012 - unfortunately after "covid" people started moving here from California and they want to change Montana - it’s frustrating and disappointing.
Isn’t non-ethanol relatively uncommon? I rarely see it available, perhaps try “normal” top tier fuel and see if it makes any difference? You’re not putting in any additives correct?