Light Color and Filters: Educate Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need an edumucations:

Reference the following chart (from LightForce)
filtersp.jpg

Which beam pattern (filter) is good for what type of offroad driving? How about color? How about color combined with pattern?

I'm really interested in dusty situations, both seeing forward and being visible to others coming toward me. I'm also interested in foggy situations, as well as clear nighttime conditions.

I'm pretty much sold on a set of LightForce 140 HIDs. Does the fact that they're HID change your opinion? If so, why?

Any and all info and opinion is welcome.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yellow or Orange would be my guess. I am sure there is some functionality outside of what the chart states, or you can buy both filters. You should get peoples attention easier with four lights vs. two. Lightforce makes a good light, never had them though. If you want these lights I would suggest the combo version which allows for greater distance and wide peripheral. When I get around to purchasing lights I will be more interested in driving lights rather than offroad oriented lights but may end up with Lightforce.

GOODLIFE

Reaction score
This is what I have asked Light Force lately.

Hello Keenan,

In your case I would recommend the HID 240 Blitz. This light has a rotatable reflector similar to the lights on your work truck. It has the same size reflector as the XGT 9.5" and with the HID version you will see much more distance then any other after market light on the market. Keep in mind the RMDL blitz uses an external ballast and igniter. It is very easy to mount these items and they are weather proof.

Lightforce has the DL240HID light that is internal ballast and igniter. This light is also a 35 watt version. The XGT is the same lamp but in our 100 watt halogen version.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Begley
USA Sales
LIGHTFORCE Performance Lighting
208 Jason Ct. Corona CA 92879
Phone: 714-460-4247 ext 24
Fax: 714.475.5025
[email protected]
www.lightforce.com

msg: I\'m looking at getting a set of your 240mm lights. I\'m not sure what the difference is between some of them. Obviously, one isn\'t HID and one is a higher wattage but what is the difference between for the XGT? I live in Alaska and they are very popular here. I have HID\'s in my hi and low beems but want more. I figure a pair of 240\'s should do the trick. I have a set of 170\'s with dark blue spot lenses on my work truck and want more than that for my personal vehicle. Aside form the differences in the 240\'s, what would you recommend? My HID hi and lows seem to be good but I\'m not sure if I should get a combo lense or spot lense or what color. I\'m leaning towards the light blue and buying a pair of spot and combo lenses. Is that the color you\'d recommend and which lights?
code: MVWR
submit: Submit

I know this doesn't exactly address your question so here's my thoughts' on that. I would also reccomend orange or yellow. The yellow would probably put out enough light for you in HID form to keep you happy on clear nights. Keep in mind you could always take the yellow lenses off as long as they woudn't be harmed. As for beam pattern, that depends on you and what you are trying to accomplish. The intended use for this truck would have me leaning towards a setup with 4 lights. Two would be combo lenses and two would be spots. Maybe all four as spots if you have an HID upgrade on your stock headlights. Fast driving needs a lot of distance with it's lighting. My personal preference is to get as much as possible everywhere.