Let's talk about the current market conditions for Gen 1 Raptors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the 3.5 H/O will go down as Fords most unreliable and most undesirable motor in it's history.

Looking at their modern engines- say beginning at the 4.6L in the mid 90s and moving forward, the 5.4L 3V has earned that title IMO. I don't think the crappy rattling timing components they used in the 3.5Ls can trump the utter fail that the 5.4L 3V heads/plugs/VVT were. 5.4L 2V was great. 5.4L 3V was crap. 5.4L 4V was great and way too rare in FOMOCO products back in the day.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good thread!! I'm in the keep it til I die group. Best truck I've ever had and that's been a few. 2012 with 63,000 on it. Never have driven it without a smile on my face . Last time I drove it, I had 3 different people say "nice truck!!". Clayed and ceramic last week... Shines!!!!!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at their modern engines- say beginning at the 4.6L in the mid 90s and moving forward, the 5.4L 3V has earned that title IMO. I don't think the crappy rattling timing components they used in the 3.5Ls can trump the utter fail that the 5.4L 3V heads/plugs/VVT were. 5.4L 2V was great. 5.4L 3V was crap. 5.4L 4V was great and way too rare in FOMOCO products back in the day.

The plugs blowing out of the 3v was a fairly inexpensive / quick fix. Once you bought the kit it was kind of no big deal, just keep the kit in the truck, or you could limp the truck hundreds of miles with a blown plug. The later 3v had that problem fixed. The 3.5l problems are not side of the road type fixes, that sends my vote to the 3.5l for terribleness. Plus the 3v was sort of a middle of the road, inexpensive engine...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The plugs blowing out of the 3v was a fairly inexpensive / quick fix. Once you bought the kit it was kind of no big deal, just keep the kit in the truck, or you could limp the truck hundreds of miles with a blown plug. The later 3v had that problem fixed. The 3.5l problems are not side of the road type fixes, that sends my vote to the 3.5l for terribleness. Plus the 3v was sort of a middle of the road, inexpensive engine...

Nope. Ejecting plugs wasn't the problem. That was a problem on the older 2V and 4V engines. They went to 9 thread heads in 2004 on everything and solved that. The 3V 5.4Ls are in the 04-08 trucks.

The 2 piece plugs that came apart during removal was the plug issue on the 5.4L 3V, not ejecting them. That is not even the real problem on those engines though. The VVT system and the heads are a 100% disaster as designed from Ford. The 5.4 3Vs will be in the junkyard way before all other Ford engines. The 4.0 V6 is the only close contender. All 3.5L cyclone based engines are a magnitude better than both of those engines IMO.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back to the OP's question about the market conditions.
It seems like the Market is strong here in TX. on clean Gen 1's. They range from $29 to 42 for a 13-14 depending on milage and extras. I have also noticed that the Gen 2 has slid considerably in the opposite direction. Saw a couple 17's for $46-47

I've had private offers of $45 for my 14 Roush with 117k on it.
But I guess when you look at what it would cost to add the SC and all the suspension parts, $45 might be a deal..lol

Looks like i will be selling the ole girl... Never advertised it, but got my number.
I think I'm about to hit the panic button!!

Guess I'll start building a long travel with our 2011 5.0 ..

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 1976 F-150 with 428 Cobra Jet for 24 years.
Had a 2001 F-150 for 16 years. (knew it wouldn't last as long)

I'll likely keep this '14 SCAB for a long time. It's my favorite of the three. 36K on it.

Last edited:

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my ‘13 for $37.5K with 51,800 on the odometer. KBB was $37,300-$43,000 depending. My truck was pretty much immaculate minus a few small dents/dings.

The seller bought it from a family member who was the original owner and decided he wanted a Gen 2 after driving it for a few weeks. So he sold what is now my truck to me, but it took him a month to get out of it after listing it for sale.

Originally listed it at $41K, then $40K. Had constant offers of $35K and even lower. With that said, I don’t see myself ever getting rid of it. It gives me everything I need and nothing that I don’t necessarily. I shopped for about 7 months and was only really ready for about 2 weeks before I found mine. I realized a lot of the $40,000 and up trucks (13-14 specifically) have a tendency to sit a little longer than the cheaper Gen 1’s and the market range wasn’t far off from trucks with 15K miles up to 50K miles unless the dealer really wanted to get a premium depending on their location and market.