LED Brakelights... something to think about?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the Raptor uses standard incandescent bulbs in the brake lights (except the third brake light on the cab).

It takes about a half a second longer for an incandescent bulb to light versus an LED. That doesn't sound like a lot of time but at 60 mph that translates into about 44 feet.

In other words, if you have to make a panic stop from 60, that 1/2 second gives the guy behind you an extra 44 feet to stop.

Anybody know if there are good LED replacement bulbs available to replace the stock Raptor brake light bulbs??

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I would be interested in this as well, plus, led's just look good. Not to thread jack but to hopefully add something......anybody seen or know of a way to maybe darken the clearance lights? I thing that would look pretty cool.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be interested in this as well, plus, led's just look good. Not to thread jack but to hopefully add something......anybody seen or know of a way to maybe darken the clearance lights? I thing that would look pretty cool.

Matt, other vehicle forums talk about tinting taillights and other lights and, from what I've seen, the most popular way is to "paint" them using VHT Nite-Shade.

41FU8MRrGdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I assume this might be what you're looking for.

VHT SP999 Nite-Shades Lens Cover Tint Translucent Black Paint Can - 10 oz.

You can buy it here (Amazon)

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I looked around at some people that have used that and it seems to work pretty well, thanks Dan.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call on this MarkT... lots of manufacturers seem to be doing it this way... I think it is a little distracting when the CHMSL comes on before the brake lights...

Question are the OE bulbs single or dual filament?

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are dual as are the LED's out there but the LED's are called dual circuit. It seem the more the more you get from 6 bucks to 30. I would hope the 30 dollar LED's are pretty bright, They have dozens of LED's on a single unit where as the 6 dollar ones have 3 LED's.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the rear taillight bulb size or identification?

3057. I believe the glass bulb is a little smaller than a 3157. 3157 is how the led bulbs are refered to on all the sites Ihad looked at, but, it looks like the LED lights are smaller in dia. so I dont think there will be a problem it you chose to go the LED route.