GEN 2 High Mileage Owners Input HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
I am a former GEN1 owner and loved this community for their great feedback and comradery. i am in the process of looking for a GEN2 and the one i have my eye on currently has every single option in the exact color i want at a very reasonable price point. The only concern i have is that its sitting at 70K miles. Carfax has amazing records of oil changed every 5000-7500 miles and other routine maintenance required for that mileage. my question is how have the higher mileage raptors been performing? i know we always hear more about the bad/problems but rarely hear how good a higher mileage vehicle performs. any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a night and day difference from my GEN 1 where a majority of the time i owned it was great and problem free.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I am a former GEN1 owner and loved this community for their great feedback and comradery. i am in the process of looking for a GEN2 and the one i have my eye on currently has every single option in the exact color i want at a very reasonable price point. The only concern i have is that its sitting at 70K miles. Carfax has amazing records of oil changed every 5000-7500 miles and other routine maintenance required for that mileage. my question is how have the higher mileage raptors been performing? i know we always hear more about the bad/problems but rarely hear how good a higher mileage vehicle performs. any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is a night and day difference from my GEN 1 where a majority of the time i owned it was great and problem free.

67k on my '18. Other than some quirkiness from the tranny, nothing mechanical to speak of. Sounds like the previous owner took better care than I do. I don't change my oil until the truck says so, 10k or whatever. Go for it.

OP
OP
Danactive

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
67k on my '18. Other than some quirkiness from the tranny, nothing mechanical to speak of. Sounds like the previous owner took better care than I do. I don't change my oil until the truck says so, 10k or whatever. Go for it.

big question is the cam phaser dilemma... have you had that issue?

OP
OP
Danactive

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Nope. Not a peep. Show up at the dealer first thing in the morning and tell them not to start or move it. Go fire it up, that should tell the tale.

if it were only that easy lol the dealership is in FL and im in NY... from the videos ive seen i bet i could face time and have them start it up and hear whether or not its an issue... i also wonder how much an extended warranty would run me on top of the overall cost of the truck

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
if it were only that easy lol the dealership is in FL and im in NY... from the videos ive seen i bet i could face time and have them start it up and hear whether or not its an issue... i also wonder how much an extended warranty would run me on top of the overall cost of the truck
Unlike most the Narcotic Dealers on the Forum, that seem to have endless pile of cash to modify their $75k Raptor..lol....I am a poor boy that used to use Life Magazines as shin guards when I played hockey...I have to have an ESP due to my lack of mechanical knowledge, shallow pockets and I run it into the Ground...Swing by a your Ford Dealership $300 or so to certify it for ESP coverage used I think you can only buy 3yr/135kmiles. Verify with them. I’m carrying 8yr/150 it was like $4k or a little more. It’s a gamble like any INS. Your betting it breaks/ they are betting it doesn’t. On my Gen 1 they replaced the Foxes for me, paid for the warranty

OP
OP
Danactive

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Unlike most the Narcotic Dealers on the Forum, that seem to have endless pile of cash to modify their $75k Raptor..lol....I am a poor boy that used to use Life Magazines as shin guards when I played hockey...I have to have an ESP due to my lack of mechanical knowledge, shallow pockets and I run it into the Ground...Swing by a your Ford Dealership $300 or so to certify it for ESP coverage used I think you can only buy 3yr/135kmiles. Verify with them. I’m carrying 8yr/150 it was like $4k or a little more. It’s a gamble like any INS. Your betting it breaks/ they are betting it doesn’t. On my Gen 1 they replaced the Foxes for me, paid for the warranty

thank you for all the great info! i might just pull the trigger as this truck literally is my dream setup but its the mileage thats the only thing holding me back $50k on a truck with 70k miles is a risk and i understand that but also a great deal for such an amazing truck

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is it? There's still some deals to be had even with the boom in used truck prices.

BSheppard

Reaction score
Just do it and don’t look back! Google high mileage 3.5 ecoboost and you will read 30 or so threads with trucks over 300k miles one has 570k on a 2011.

This! Someone I work with has a 2012 with 220k on it. He said never a problem from the motor. He is not one to take care of his autos and tows a good bit with the truck.