Grinding in 2wd AND 4wd Gen 2 - Not wastegate, not IWE solenoid or check valve,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bhuertta

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I posted in the gen 3 forum but really no response. Started in 4 wheel drive, but did not happen in 2h. Drove about 90 miles and it started happening n 2h. Had to tow truck to dealer. Sounds like it was in driver side wheel. They called me today and said the differential is shot. Ordered a new one. But mine makes noise even in neutral coasting down a hill. So hoping that is the problem. They say they will not look at anything else till front diff comes in.
Mine sounds like it’s coming under engine by headers area. Maybe turbos but I don’t have any turbo loss or lag. Inspected the truck twice at dealers and suggested maybe loose heat shield, so they took it to muffler shop and came back clean. Still here the noise but they said mechanically nothing is wrong with the truck hmmm

hjscm

Reaction score
They finally got back to me today. Said nothing wrong with diff but broke housing and one bad bearing which is another week out to get. Not sure they know what they are doing.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The hard plastic vacuum lines were bad on my Raptor, and a few of my older Expeditions causing noises from the IWEs.

hjscm

Reaction score
So dealer that i bought truck from has been talking to me. Truck is at another dealer cause i live far away from where I brought it. They are going to make a deal for a trade in on a 2023. He started out by saying they are hard to find and mark up is $30,000. Mine only has 4,500 miles on it and i payed $98,000. Would it be fair if i paid another $5,000 and payments stayed the same? Truck wont be fixed for at least 2 more weeks. Means i payed 2 payments for a truck i don’t have. Going to negotiate a deal tomorrow just trying to figure out what is fair for both. Thanks

bolilly

Reaction score
I’m having issues with my 2018 Raptor also trying to engage 4wd drive but it’s only after the vehicle is driven 50 plus miles and gets hot! It will not do it until engine temp gets up and then it constantly tries to engage! I’ve changed the check valve, vacuum canister, lower owe hoses and the IWE’s on both wheels!! I had one check valve blow apart!!! Seems like the system saw blast pressure but I’m not sure how the Activac (hose away) works nor does my dealer!! Can anybody help out here??

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m having issues with my 2018 Raptor also trying to engage 4wd drive but it’s only after the vehicle is driven 50 plus miles and gets hot! It will not do it until engine temp gets up and then it constantly tries to engage! I’ve changed the check valve, vacuum canister, lower owe hoses and the IWE’s on both wheels!! I had one check valve blow apart!!! Seems like the system saw blast pressure but I’m not sure how the Activac (hose away) works nor does my dealer!! Can anybody help out here??
Throwing part’s doesn’t fix anything. You need to either invest in a (relatively inexpensive) vacuum pump and diagnose it or have it looked at professionally. Also note that there is a specific procedure to follow when installing the IWEs, if you didn’t follow it they can be damaged.

bolilly

Reaction score
Throwing part’s doesn’t fix anything. You need to either invest in a (relatively inexpensive) vacuum pump and diagnose it or have it looked at professionally. Also note that there is a specific procedure to follow when installing the IWEs, if you didn’t follow it they can be damaged.
Thanks for the response. I started with the IWE check valve once I heard the system trying to engage and that seemed to work until it came back but as I mentioned it would take it very long periods of driving to get it to start. I bought an extended warranty so at that point I took it to the dealer and they replaced the driver side IWE. I drove it again and same story, after about 50 non-stop miles it went to the passenger side. Back to the dealer I went, it was replaced! Same story! Short runs yielded no issues! During all of this I could switch to 4x4 auto and the problem stopped. To me vacuum related. So at this point I did check from the air reservoir down each side, each section of hose and the IWE’s with good vacuum readings. I took it back to the dealer and they verified what I did and noticed the IWE check had blown apart!!!

bolilly

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I started with the IWE check valve once I heard the system trying to engage and that seemed to work until it came back but as I mentioned it would take it very long periods of driving to get it to start. I bought an extended warranty so at that point I took it to the dealer and they replaced the driver side IWE. I drove it again and same story, after about 50 non-stop miles it went to the passenger side. Back to the dealer I went, it was replaced! Same story! Short runs yielded no issues! During all of this I could switch to 4x4 auto and the problem stopped. To me vacuum related. So at this point I did check from the air reservoir down each side, each section of hose and the IWE’s with good vacuum readings. I took it back to the dealer and they verified what I did and noticed the IWE check had blown apart!!!