Gen 4 500hp dark horse V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wheter or not the fed forces EVs down everyones throats instead of letting the market decide all depends on the upcoming presidential election- and the resulting promulgated rules coming from unelected officals in the EPA until 2028. The irony.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the gen 4, due in 2025-26 going to get the 500hp v8 from the dark horse? I’m sure the raptor r will be discontinued by then. Let’s be honest….we all want a V8, and ford knows this. And…..they want “raptor” to be unique. The 3.5HO might not be the future (next 4 yrs).
I hope not. 500hp V8 would be a step down from gen 3, not a step up. Except for the sound. I could give a shit about that, but I don't.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So yo
are we really on a Raptor forum making claims that we are fighting for our livelihood? REALLY? Let’s get back to reality for a minute, these trucks are $80k - $90k if you are driving one of these you have no idea what fighting for your livelihood means. And before anyone gets too upset by the reality of my post, know I have served this great country and have seen what it is like in other countries. While we are far from perfect, this is still the greatest country in the world. Now let’s stop complaining and fear mongering and get back to talking about these amazing trucks and all the fun things we have the capibility to go do!
So, ur a democrat trying to shutdown truthful conversations. What are you afraid of?

OP
OP
MORaptor1

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting comments. All the banter aside, ford DID just release an updated 5.0…the wheels that turn, turn very slow. No reason to discount a “standard” raptor with a V8 in the future. Could happen.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Interesting comments. All the banter aside, ford DID just release an updated 5.0…the wheels that turn, turn very slow. No reason to discount a “standard” raptor with a V8 in the future. Could happen.
This has been debated over and over and over and over again since 2016. The problem is that the N/A V8 is going to give up massive torque to the TTV6 and most importantly, low in the rpm range.

Unless they move toward a Godzilla variant with a LOT of cubes, they’re better off with the turbos. Even if they did get the low end performance needed from a n/a engine, the cubes necessary would put it into gas guzzler territory, will adversely affect the CAFE rating for the company and that makes it even less likely. Not saying I agree with cafe or the impact but Ford has to consider it. At least Ford is able to meet CAFE with powertrain options that are competitive. Ever rent a car in Europe?

I do think the Eco is overdue for a refresh, it’s 7 model years old now and in ’17 it was impressive. In ’23 it’s still quite capable, but it’s not a world beater.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
are we really on a Raptor forum making claims that we are fighting for our livelihood? REALLY? Let’s get back to reality for a minute, these trucks are $80k - $90k if you are driving one of these you have no idea what fighting for your livelihood means.
I was so gonna call bullcrap on you for what you said above. I had three Raptors over the years while fighting for my livelihood as well as my/our country. I may have been an idiot and put pleasure before responsibility being (and still might be) half-stoopid, so I now move to the next part of your message...

And before anyone gets too upset by the reality of my post, know I have served this great country and have seen what it is like in other countries. While we are far from perfect, this is still the greatest country in the world.
Will McAvoy would like to have a word with you from 2012. When humans stop dying continually attempting to get to the United States, that's when we know we're not the greatest (or with the most lax ways and means of getting in), whichever. Nigerians flee all the time trying to get to Spain, those from Bhutan go to Nepal, though the Nepalese also go to Bhutan. We could talk days about South Africa and how they move around. I can stop there before this thread gets locked faster than it likely will anyway. I'm just providing kindling because I have nothing to do for another 35 min.

Now let’s stop complaining and fear mongering and get back to talking about these amazing trucks and all the fun things we have the capibility to go do!
Agreed!

This has been debated over and over and over and over again since 2016. The problem is that the N/A V8 is going to give up massive torque to the TTV6 and most importantly, low in the rpm range.

Unless they move toward a Godzilla variant with a LOT of cubes, they’re better off with the turbos. Even if they did get the low end performance needed from a n/a engine, the cubes necessary would put it into gas guzzler territory, will adversely affect the CAFE rating for the company and that makes it even less likely. Not saying I agree with cafe or the impact but Ford has to consider it. At least Ford is able to meet CAFE with powertrain options that are competitive. Ever rent a car in Europe?

I do think the Eco is overdue for a refresh, it’s 7 model years old now and in ’17 it was impressive. In ’23 it’s still quite capable, but it’s not a world beater.
An interesting note to what you mentioned above about the "gas-guzzler" side of things, is that my 6-speed manual transmission Mach 1 Mustang in 2022 was considered a gas-guzzler. The same Mach 1 Mustang equipped with the 10R80 transmission was not. Perhaps that's a way to skirt the dynamics of CAFE regulations and CARB, give the sound to the people who want the sound at the expense of legitimate power.

Do I want the supercharged V8 in the R? Yes. Will I have one? Yes, as soon as I can get one without being (look above) half-stoopid about it (ADM). I'm in a much better place these days than I was a decade ago and thankfully, can afford whatever I want within reason. Thankfully I have no reason for a billion-dollar yacht because yeah, can't do that, yet.

I also think the little engine that could is due for some updates, though that's water under the bridge at this point seeing how mine is sitting in the garage and will receive none of those updates. But yeah, Ford needs to accelerate things a little bit for sure.