Ford Performance Diff Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That low torque spec is to protect the gasket from distorting. A standard sheet metal cover will start to bend and dent in at the bolt holes at those pressures. The cover isn't a structural component so it doesn't need a lot of clamping force, just needs not to leak.

It is when it's a girdled cover.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will tell you guys this much the Ford pre diff cover is twice as stout as stock . No sheet metal

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is when it's a girdled cover.
Girdled cover on a 9.75... why? The carrier is massive, have you ever seen one broken, gears chewed, inner bearings fail? Maybe I am wrong but this seems like putting chocolate pudding on top of an exquisite mousse, it might make it stand out but doesn't seem necessary.

I could see trussing one if you were on the extreme end, the tubes are a bit thin.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Girdled cover on a 9.75... why? The carrier is massive, have you ever seen one broken, gears chewed, inner bearings fail? Maybe I am wrong but this seems like putting chocolate pudding on top of an exquisite mousse, it might make it stand out but doesn't seem necessary.

I could see trussing one if you were on the extreme end, the tubes are a bit thin.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion (which you often give). I don't eat chocolate, so I can't relate to your analogy.

Most aftermarket parts are not neccessary, including added oil capacity, bump stops, exhaust systems, leaf springs, shocks, cold air intakes and more.

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are certainly entitled to your opinion (which you often give). I don't eat chocolate, so I can't relate to your analogy.

Most aftermarket parts are not neccessary, including added oil capacity, bump stops, exhaust systems, leaf springs, shocks, cold air intakes and more.

Not a change I have made was really #needed"...."wanted" is a whole other topic.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Items in bold correct actual weaknesses or help the performance of the truck.

Husky44

Reaction score
I went with the Spicer cover to save some cash. Only replaced the stock because I'm **** about maintenance
and wanted to replace the fluid at 50k. It's a heavy (weight wise) cover. I don't care what badge it has or it's appearance.
I glued (ultra black) the gasket on the cover a few days prior and cut the heads off two 5/16 bolts to use as guides while installing
(too old to hold up and start the bolts).