Finally upgraded my Gen 1 to Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Great work sending your local stealership a message.
#SameNumberOfprius

Most people want the sunroof which made it hard for him too sell.
I’m going to disagree with this statement. While I realize ours is but a subset of buyers, FRF is pretty evenly split. The issue is not so much that “most buyers want” the moonroof, it’s that you simply cannot get the truck without the moonroof without a special order. So most buyers acquiesce and drop the additional 2 large and several more for other features they really didn’t want or need.

All Raptors sell, and saving 2 grand on an otherwise fully featured truck would definitely attract a few more buyers. This thing is a huge profit maker for Ford and the dealers, not just on the front end, but on the back end for the unfortunate souls who break it because of lack of maintenance.

Wichadicha

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had the sunroof on all 3 of my F150 for the last 15 years, never lubed, use them almost every time I get in the truck, and ZERO issues. The microscopic sample of FRF is irrelevant. Yes, special order on most Raptor to "not" have it, but remember, it is the same sunroof in All F150's so the real world data is far outside this group. The anecdotal, I read somewhere about some guy, who xyz'd his while offroading...... as a reason to not get it vs the positive side of having it for 99% of majority is comical. I would not by a truck without it. I also acknowledge my comments are irrelevant too. Get the truck you can/want, but telling yourself the sunroof cons outweigh the pro's based on this forum is pointless

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had the sunroof on all 3 of my F150 for the last 15 years, never lubed, use them almost every time I get in the truck, and ZERO issues. The microscopic sample of FRF is irrelevant. Yes, special order on most Raptor to "not" have it, but remember, it is the same sunroof in All F150's so the real world data is far outside this group. The anecdotal, I read somewhere about some guy, who xyz'd his while offroading...... as a reason to not get it vs the positive side of having it for 99% of majority is comical. I would not by a truck without it. I also acknowledge my comments are irrelevant too. Get the truck you can/want, but telling yourself the sunroof cons outweigh the pro's based on this forum is pointless
Using it constantly is likely why it worked so well. I think where people get into trouble is never using it for 3 years with the truck baking in the sun and then trying to pop it open one day. The more I used mine in the gen 2 the smoother it sounded, if I let it sit there for a while it sounded pretty sketchy.

Also dust would get in there and rattle/creak like a SOB.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Using it constantly is likely why it worked so well. I think where people get into trouble is never using it for 3 years with the truck baking in the sun and then trying to pop it open one day. The more I used mine in the gen 2 the smoother it sounded, if I let it sit there for a while it sounded pretty sketchy.

Also dust would get in there and rattle/creak like a SOB.
my wifes get used but requires seasonal cleaning/greasing to keep it from rattling/creaking over bumps. I'm to ocd to have that going on in my truck, she couldnt care less.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Given the choice, I will always go for the truck without the moonroof. Its too big for these trucks. They should've stayed with the normal size moonroofs for the F-150's.