Driveshaft replacement FYI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace the rear drive shaft on my SCAB. I put a big dent in the OEM drive shaft. Thin Aluminum.
I was looking at all the HD replacements that some of the Vendors sell and just could not bring myself to pay the inflated prices they were asking so I went on a search. When I lived in So. Cal, there were many driveline shops around to build what you wanted. I was into Rock Crawling then and good HD driveshaft's were must haves. I did a Google search for driveline shops in Phoenix area and came up with THE recommended source by all the crawler guys and desert racers that depend on good drive shafts.

Phoenix Rack and Axle (Formally ****'s Driveshafts)
114 N. 32nd Street
Phoenix, AZ. 85034
602-252-8255

The bonus to this place is that they also rebuild or sell you a steering rack with a lifetime warranty and half the price. I have not had any problems with mine but if I do, like a lot of guys on FRF seem to have had, this is the place to go.

All I had to do was call and give them the length measurement, which for a 2010 5.4 SCAB is 63". I called yesterday around noon and went down today at noon. They had it done and they installed it for me.
Prices; HD steel $240 with Spicer ujoints, balanced to 15K RPM. Total with install $305. Compared to $650+ Just for the DS from the vendors on here. Same HD quality. I had a steel one built. Old habits die hard. The truck drove great. I hit 110 MPH on my way home and it ran smooth as silk. If you are under 72" you can do steel. If you are over 72" it has to be aluminum. The aluminum DS's are $100 more and are 090 tubing.
They will do mail order and get the shaft out usually within 24 hrs of an order.
I know that most everyone has warranties and if they have to replace a DS then they get it done by the dealer or maybe not. I don't have warranty any longer so I'm on my own dime. When I have to replace something I try and do my homework on what will be the biggest bang for my buck. This was definitely a good bang for a much better quality HD shaft.
I hope this information will be useful for others.
If you live near a large city area then there are usually driveline shops around to build what ever you want or need. Just do your research and save some money.
They also have Drive Shafts, Steering gear boxes and CV Axles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is the driveshaft on a SCREW? Does anyone know?

just get under it and measure from the rubber seal for the output shaft on the transfer case back to where the driveshaft bolts to the flat flange where it comes out of the differential. That's the measurement you want for ordering a new one.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Mil, Did the front slip yoke come with it? I need to run down the hill to get one too.
I have used ****'s Driveshafts for all replacement over the years. Never had a problem with any of their products.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice find. And bonus on the steering rack and CVs.

Wonder if you have to send them your steering rack for a rebuild or if a new remanufactured one can be had?

I'll check them out.
Thanks

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same place did a custom one piece aluminum driveshaft for my nephews lifted crewcab F250. The fit and finish was truly first rate and it was a night and day difference in his beast. I think we ordered it on Monday and it arrived Friday at his shop in Michigan and we had it installed and drinking beers by noon. They will have all our driveshaft business from now on.