6.2 Doug Thorley headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Ruger I'm pretty sure all headers are not street legal. High flow catalytic converters or not. You may be able to pass emissions, but I don't think that qualifies them for street legal status. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me but I was under the impression that headers are technically not legal.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ruger I'm pretty sure all headers are not street legal. High flow catalytic converters or not. You may be able to pass emissions, but I don't think that qualifies them for street legal status. If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me but I was under the impression that headers are technically not legal.

Such a blanket statement ignores the fact that there are 50 states with 50 legislatures writing laws that almost never say the same thing. Whether headers are legal or not depends upon which state's laws are involved.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Such a blanket statement ignores the fact that there are 50 states with 50 legislatures writing laws that almost never say the same thing. Whether headers are legal or not depends upon which state's laws are involved.

I didn't ignore that fact. It's exactly why I said I'm pretty sure they're illegal. A company would have to do a ridiculous amount of homework to make sure they apply to all 50 states different laws and regulations. That's not to say a company hasn't done it, but I've been under the impression they are illegal. Again, I'd love to be proven wrong because it makes it that much easier to sell to the wife when I want to make that next step.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
shit this is california almost everything is illegal

Roger that! I left California in 1977 before it went bazonkers and never looked back.

The interesting thing about Doug Thorley is that they're up-front and tell you plainly that their product isn't street legal. It puts the onus on the buyer, and probably saves them some legal difficulties. I haven't noted that other header manufacturers do that.

Unless you live in a state that does under-the-hood and tailpipe emission inspections, you ought to be all right with the Thorley product. I ran a Doug Thorley Tri-Y header in my old Nissan for well over ten years in Alabama and didn't have a hint of an issue of any kind.