Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act clearly stipulates that warranties cannot be voided merely due to the use of aftermarket parts or services. Manufacturers are required to prove that the non-original part or service was the direct cause of the defect to deny warranty claims.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I just bought a 2024 and have kind of a metallic sounds popping clunk. Sounds almost like a piece of metal popping back into place almost (can’t feel anything though through the wheel). It usually happens when slowing down or accelerating from a stop. Anyone know what this might be? Sounds like it’s coming from the middle/rear axel of the truck
Video should help diagnose

Foozer

Reaction score
I’ll try and get a video this week and mount my phone down there. The issue is it can’t be recreated on demand and I know if I take it to the dealer they’ll just say “we didn’t hear anything”

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act clearly stipulates that warranties cannot be voided merely due to the use of aftermarket parts or services. Manufacturers are required to prove that the non-original part or service was the direct cause of the defect to deny warranty claims.
That’s applies to OE equivalent parts like air filters, oil filters, brakes, etc. Once you modify a component/system with anything aftermarket, any failure of an OE component or system that can be attributed to the modification is non-warrantable.

Manufacturers are not required to spend millions of dollars to determine root cause every time someone modified their vehicle and causes a problem. That would be simply ridiculous, if people want to mod their vehicles they need to finance it themselves.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s not entirely how it works. The singular part you have modified or swapped is your own problem of course, but every piece of original equipment is warranted against manufacturing defects for the duration of the warranty. When a modification has caused a failure the warranty isn’t denied because it was voided. It’s still there. It’s just that the failure isn’t a manufacturing defect. Like when that person had their link brackets on the rear axle crack and they had swapped all the links and they were trying to say the welds were defective… those brackets aren’t designed for rigid uniballs on every single link and will have issues eventually if someone swaps all five. Technically you could have ford prove whether or not your part caused the failure, but none of us have the funds for that
I posted the condensed version.

Yes, warranty coverage is only affected on the system or component affected by the modifications.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Yes, warranty coverage is only affected on the system or component affected by the modifications.
Key words. Components effected. If you install high friction pads and SS lines and start warping stock rotors, Ford can and will blame those mods for the rotor issues. A Friend bought a New Ram diesel and modified the heck out of the engine, the tranny failed and he was denied warranty due to engine mods.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That’s the thing though… the warranty coverage never changes or goes away. It’s just a question of whether or not something is a defect or induced by a modification. The only way a warranty can be voided for use of a not approved part is if the part it’s replacing is provided for free regardless of whether it’s a wear item or not. The law was created to prevent manufacturers from price gouging using maintaining a warranty as leverage.

In the industry I work in I have seen warranties abused in both directions a ridiculous amount. People expecting things to be covered when it’s clear that abuse caused the issue and manufacturers refusing to cover known defects because of an aftermarket thing that can’t plausibly cause the issue. What the world needs is two things, people need to be cognizant of the issues a modification can cause and accept responsibility if any of them pop up and manufactures need to own up to manufacturing defects and not try to wiggle out.