Clear Undercoat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This isn't clear, but has anyone tried this stuff?

3M Professional Grade Rubberized Undercoating 03584
I had that in the wheel wells on my 2002 F-150. Held up really well for the 3.5 years it was in there. Didn't peel or crack, just got a little dirty kind of like Line-X but cleaned easily.

Will probably put it in the wheel wells again and on the bottom of the rockers on the new truck if I don't get them Line-X'd.

You can find it at Autozone too.

BIGt0007

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It is not a "bad" idea to paint them first. The MPHD is going to protect either way, but the metal surfaces will always be rust free longer when painted. As for the engine bay itself, stuff like manifolds, etc should be coated with the MPHD. However, I recommend checking out AMSOIL MP Metal protector for the wiring harnesses, etc. It is specifically designed for more delicate electronic applications, guns, etc.

Wow we can spray high temp stuff? Doesn't it burn off?

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazing the amount of good info you can get in forums like this one. I am not going to bother with anything else. I am going to order a 12 can box of AMSOIL MPHD and spray the son of a gun as good as possible. Then touch ups every now and then.

This is a big deal for me. I won't do much offraoding but I am definately going to be driving the beast on the beach to get to some good fishing spots :superhack:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I still have the three test metal pieces sitting out in the elements and below is a pic of what they look like today, several months after first coating them. From left to right they are ACF-50, LPS3 and AMSOIL.

mphd_test_metal.jpg

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were doing my own truck, I would spray everything metal, frame, underside of the cab and bed, shocks, control arms, steering linkages, brake lines and all. However, I am not sure if I would put it directly on the exhaust piping. While I have seen and heard of folks spraying the exhaust piping and manifolds, turbo downpipes and so forth. MY concern wouldn't be whether it burned off or not, which apparently it doesn't very quickly, it withstands heat very well from what I gather, but I have never actually sat my behind in a vehicle that has had the higher temp parts of the engine and drivetrain coated. I cannot say whether you would be dealing with an obnoxious smell as a result while it cures.

AMSOIL MPHD

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also did my John Deere 4x4 and hit many high temp areas, you will get a slight burn off smell.

Buts its really no big deal, it goes away.

Ragegame15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks for all the research on this one. I've been watching this thread since before I joined and started saving up for a Raptor. I've got one coming in NOV now and plan on doing the AMSOIL. I have a couple of questions though. Do I need a lift do apply this properly, or can I crawl under there with a mask and goggles? How often do you recommend reapplication? I see from the torture tests maybe every 3 months? Or do you think something like once a year is sufficient?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks for all the research on this one. I've been watching this thread since before I joined and started saving up for a Raptor. I've got one coming in NOV now and plan on doing the AMSOIL. I have a couple of questions though. Do I need a lift do apply this properly, or can I crawl under there with a mask and goggles? How often do you recommend reapplication? I see from the torture tests maybe every 3 months? Or do you think something like once a year is sufficient?

No, you do not need a lift. While it would be helpful for space, it is not necessary at all. I do recommend a mask and goggles with or without a lift. Depending on where you live and how you use the truck, the average daily driver should only need to reapply once or twice a year. My test pieces are still outside in the weather and the MPHD is still holding strong. Once applied it will take a lot of salty conditions to eat through the MPHD, my testing was with extremely heavy amounts of salt water applied to the test samples and as I stated, the MPHD is still going strong.

Mike Hammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing to add, thin surgical gloves available at any walmart etc etc, or your doctors office if you happen to be there.

Its best kept off your skin, the MPHD sticks like glue.