Car and Driver Article - 2017 Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
That's not a single additional source. "others", "people at ford", and "my really good dealership even talked about it at a meeting"......sorry those sources are as reliable as horsepower kings lol, and no dealers are having creditable meetings about gen 2 raptor powertrains other than passing their own made up rumors around.

Holy cow, I just read the Horsepower Kings Article, usually out of principle I don't even read anything on their site just like I don't read the tabloids. You just turned their assumptions and guesses based off their rumor mill article into a statement.

What is really interesting, we are told [with no sources whatsoever provided]– is that this Twin-Turbo V8 could possibly make it’s way into other models of the Ford lineup.....Our guess is we will see the motor in other F-150 models, such as the FX4, Lariat and Platinum – possibly even the Super Duty models as an alternative to the 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

That whole slew of assumptions, guesses, hypotheses, and shots in the dark turned into a factual statement....

And a rumor is born, someone doesn't click the link, they read on FRF that hey I read Ford is putting Cobra Jet motors in Superduties!

Also the article has it wrong about the CJ motor in itself which is another giant red flag.

The EcoBoost 5.0 V8 program has been under development for a several years, and first made it’s public appearance in the Cobra Jet program in late-2012

It never made it into the CJ program. There was a concept CJ released in 2012 with a twin turbo 5.0, but it never made it into the CJ program. The 2013 and 2014 CJ's were N/A and S/C 5.0s.

Now I do believe we'll see an ecoboost 5.0 in a next gen GT500, I don't think it will make it to the Raptor, just like the 5.8 SC GT500 engine never made it to anything outside the GT500 either. Also the CJ N/A or CJ 5.0 motor never made it outside anything other than the CJ.

Long story short, way too many leaps of faiths, assumptions, and putting the wrong puzzle pieces together to be making statements that ford's putting CJ motors in superduties. That whole sentence in itself is quite absurd sounding lol. May you eventually see a gas ecoboost engine in a superduty? I think it's totally plausible. Would it ever be a CJ crate motor dropped in? You're smoking crack to even think that. Even the superduty 6.2 isn't the same as the raptor/regular f150 6.2. Even the f150 5.0 isn't the same as the mustang 5.0. Just because an engine shares the same displacement by no means that it's automatically a CJ motor in a superduty lol.

We are on the same page then [emoji106]

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about then Reptar. Why do you even care?? Of course there's no flipping official news from Ford and won't be on any future products. If you don't care about what might be coming down the pipes fine. Just wait for the official announcement from Ford in another 12-18 months.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're talking about then Reptar. Why do you even care?? Of course there's no flipping official news from Ford and won't be on any future products. If you don't care about what might be coming down the pipes fine. Just wait for the official announcement from Ford in another 12-18 months.

Where did I say I don't care what might be coming down the pipes? I do care, very much so, but I'm not going to take bait on any little spew of a rumor that pops up and start posting "WOW Ford is putting CJ motors in Superduties now?!"

Why do I even care? Because it's extremely interesting information if there was credible evidence leaked about an ecoboost v8 making it's way out to production models. And from time to time there are credible leaks made, like the flat plane crank 5.2 info being leaked out early, we all knew Gen 2 Raptors were coming, leaks were made that the GT was returning, etc. Credible sources were able to be cited in many of those cases, not just a horsepower kings link and people saying their friend at a dealership told them.

News of an ecoboost v8 hitting the lineup would be very exciting if it's coming from credible sources, but when it's just horsepower kings posting IF/POSSIBLY/OUR GUESS/MIGHT, or people posting "my dealership told me blah blah blah and they're really good so I believe them", it's not worth the price of rice in China to be spreading those worthless rumors.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It all comes down to ford is a company in business to make profits.

What the overwhelming majority want, is what it will get. Because that equals the most sales.

This forum alone does not make up 1/3 of the raptor produced.

A V8tt Ecoboost goes against exactly what the EB phisophy is. Its not going to happen.

Some one on here should have access to see how many f150s were purchased in the last few years with the EB vs compared to the V8. Im willing to bet is dramatically one sided towards the EB. If it wasn't, there would be no reason for the new 2.7EB.

as for a v8TT in the gt. Not going to happen. It was built so ford could go race. If you look at everything in that class from europe that will it compete against, bmw, mercs, audi r8, they are all v6 turbos. hence why v6tt.

Will v8 go away completely, no. but when its cheaper to make more power out of a v6 turbo, that means more profits. and that technology puts ford ahead of the truck competition.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess nobody remembers that just a few short weeks ago Horsepower Kings also had an article that said Ford is phasing out the V8 totally and will no longer offer any V8 in the mustang, trucks, etc.

They just throw articles up for whatever gets the most buzz and hype at the time to get site views.

jchilcoat15

Reaction score
Regardless of the sources, when have you ever seen ford offer engine choices in their performance line up?

I did find it odd that they didn't immediately release HP and performance numbers with the unveiling of the truck. Is too conspiracy theorist to think that they are putting stuff out there to test the waters??

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford is notorious for not releasing numbers on new engines until right before they are released. I don't think they are being secretive. It is just how they operate.

Regardless of the sources, when have you ever seen ford offer engine choices in their performance line up?

I did find it odd that they didn't immediately release HP and performance numbers with the unveiling of the truck. Is too conspiracy theorist to think that they are putting stuff out there to test the waters??

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im going to guess that Horsepower Kings knows exactly what we do and thats it. They most likely made that article in hopes of being correct. If they are correct they will gain credibility and look like they have some super secret info that no one else has, or they could crash and burn and look even stupider than they already do most of the time.

HPK is banking on everyone complaining about the ttv6 and having Ford change it up and offer a ttv8.

I think a ttv8 is a long shot for Ford at this point.