Avoiding theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The first/weakest entry point is the driver’s door handle & lock mechanism, which admittedly Ford hardened somewhat in about ’22, but it’s still only 5 seconds after power up that you can completely reset sync and completely defeat the vehicle location from Fordpass.

So, the lock cylinder needs to be disabled or shielded, the door handle secured. Next, Jimmy jammers to protect against a simple lock arm pull. Next -I think- is wrapping the glass to deter shatter tools.
That rear window though... That would need to be replaced with a solid piece with no slider; laminated or wrapped.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With all the videos out there of how easily these trucks can be stolen what are you guys doing to prevent theft? I was told to add an aftermarket alarm with cut off switch. My wife has a TREMOR and I’m worried either of our trucks might get stolen. We’re in the country but travel to that cesspool of NYC on occasion.
I would be ok if my truck were stolen. It is been with me 5.5 years. I would be ok with the insurance check replacement at this point.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With all the videos out there of how easily these trucks can be stolen what are you guys doing to prevent theft? I was told to add an aftermarket alarm with cut off switch. My wife has a TREMOR and I’m worried either of our trucks might get stolen. We’re in the country but travel to that cesspool of NYC on occasion.
Drive the Prius to the city. :)

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would be ok if my truck were stolen. It is been with me 5.5 years. I would be ok with the insurance check replacement at this point.
I would not. at 7 years in, I’ve spent quite a few hours setting it up the way I want...ish. within limits of the warranty and ESP anyway :) The stereo is a big part of it, as you well know. Would a ’24 be tight, precise and true to life enough to satisfy you? I’d bet no.

The suspension might, but I’d need to redo the lights, relays, FORSCAN, and probably the stereo all over again. I’m not trying to hear that.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would not. at 7 years in, I’ve spent quite a few hours setting it up the way I want...ish. within limits of the warranty and ESP anyway :) The stereo is a big part of it, as you well know. Would a ’24 be tight, precise and true to life enough to satisfy you? I’d bet no.

The suspension might, but I’d need to redo the lights, relays, FORSCAN, and probably the stereo all over again. I’m not trying to hear that.
Honestly....I think I am done with the truck phase of my life. At this point, my wife wants me to keep it, so I keep it for her. And yes, having a truck is awesome for getting stuff done, but lets face it, the Raptor is only 50% truck when it comes to truck things like towing and hauling.

I think I want a gas car before the good ones get legislated out of production.

Cadillac CT4-V Blacking, New Audi S7, Used Audi S8, Used 911, Used C8 Corvette are all on my short list. I love the truck still, but at 5.5 years of ownership, I am approaching my record of 7 years in 1 car (2000 Audi A6).

3Dog

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same reason I'm completing a surveillance system with a PTZ camera on all 4 corners of a 2 acre parcel... so hopefully the shi tbags that steal things & abandon pets out here will go elsewhere.

Stealing $hit is one thing. But abandoning pets? They deserve to be ventilated with a .50...

OP
OP
Azurebeast

Azurebeast

Reaction score
Yea never giving up the truck. I live in the country. A pick up is MANDATORY. Than all the snow we get. My wife also agrees which is why we got her a TREMOR. I can see the use of a Prius but I’m not that guy wearing skinny jeans and drinking latte using pronouns. We hunt, fish , camp, eat animals and do things the way god intended. I hate thieves as much as the next guy but let me catch one on my property and he’ll be a teaching tool for the dogs. Appreciate all the great advice given. Thank you all

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulling codes from an aftermarket alarm system is much harder than the oem key signal. there is a lot you can do to make it difficult to prevent theft, but also steps you can take to track after theft. i have a seperate battery connected to my gps module so if power is disconnected, the backup battery will power my gps for about a week. being that both are hidden away from the alarm system its not easy to find. the gps in the truck is very easily disconnected and then fordpass will not work. i also have my train horn connected as my siren output and my air tanks are aways full. 10 gallons of air goes a long way on a pulsed output. you want to talk about being loud and attention grabbing, a train horn is the way to go. when mine gets set off, it wakes up the entire street. also, aftermarket alarm systems have data modules. its very convienent and ties into the trucks system but the downfall is that it does tie into the system. disarming the oem system will disarm the aftermarket system and vice versa. so a hardwire install is best, but more time consumming. a data module is still needed if you want to have the long range remote start options that aftermarket systems provide, but they can be wired to not interface with the oem system. the aftermarket system will then disarm the oem system, but the oem system will not disarm the aftermarket system. this is the best way to go since disarming the aftermarket system is more difficult. most higher end systems will run you about $1500-$2000 installed depending on what features you want. my set up is as follows.

viper 5906v
dsm550 gps
506t glass break sensor
(2) 520t backup batteries from directed electronics
506m tilt sensor
pn8600 magnetic switch for tailgate and bedcover
dball3 data module but its only for remote start features so it keeps my system seperate from oem. this does not require you to have to disarm each system. i dont use the oem system at all, but you can, just requires you to unlock 2 different systems with 2 different remotes. but i will never use the data module to interface with the data in the vehicle. when the raptors first came out, i did several installs in southernca because the cartel was hopping the boarder and stealing these trucks quite often. i wired my system accordingly to make sure all points of entry were covered and i was able to track my truck regarless of where it went and what condition the truck was in (battery disconnected, siren/horn cut, oem gps/fordpass disconnected, etc)