AFE CAI + Throttle Body Spacer for 5.4 + Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see your point Mark, but this is where proper diagnosis with relevant codes is key. A DTC (diagnostic trouble code) that is related directly to the MAF sensor, say indicating a higher or lower voltage feedback would have nothing to do with a contaminated hot wire. There would likely be a shorted or open circuit, high resistance in a circuit, or a faulty MAF sensor. If DTC's such as P0171/P0174 are indicated, showing that both banks of the engine are lean (which is the most common when I see this concern) and fuel pressure has been confirmed, possible vacuum leaks have been eliminated, then this is when I look for a contaminated MAF sensor.

I don't ever assume that just because the veh has a CAI or aftermarket filtering element that immediately I should look to that as the cause. I always do my best to know it is the cause before approaching the customer. It is a simple thing to know if you have corrected the concern by cleaning the MAF sensor. Your long and short term fuel trims will react immediately.

FSM

I just wish all dealers/techs were as smart, honest, and thorough as you are! Unfortunately, some aren't and there are a lot of stories of MAF's not being warrantied by a dealer allegedly due to an "aftermarket oiled filter"...

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just wish all dealers/techs were as smart, honest, and thorough as you are! Unfortunately, some aren't and there are a lot of stories of MAF's not being warrantied by a dealer allegedly due to an "aftermarket oiled filter"...
Amen to that.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan... you're freaking me out dude. You're describing testing that I personally ran over the course of 5 years, 7 events, hundreds of dyno pulls, dozens of mods, dozens of cars, and dozens of 1/4 track runs. A "test" consisted of 3 dyno pulls, a mod swap, and three more pulls. The car wasn't removed from the dyno. The mod was made in place, as close in timing as was possible. We called these tests the "MFOs"... Modifications Face Off.

Hmm...not sure if me "freaking you out" is a good thing or a bad thing (tough to tell when it's all typed text).

Where did you do your dyno work? When I was with the Porsche Boxster group I co-founded it was up in they Bay Area. I'm trying like hell to remember the name of the dyno place (and can't now) but it was in Mountain View.

EDIT: OK, I found it. It was Dyno Spot Racing (see below).

We spent a lot of time and money there and a lot of time and money on mods and most showed gains that were so small they could've been due to testing error and/or changing conditions.

That's why I'm pretty unexcited about CAIs and other bolt-on mods. Once I consider the questionable returns, the costs, the headaches of removing perfectly good parts AND the dealership issues when going in for service and warranty work I'm not going to bother.

I don't want to sound critical of others who do these mods. I figure I went through it ONCE and I let everyone else do it so they can learn too :D

EDIT (continued): Dyno Spot Racing now in San Jose, CA

When we were spending time there some years back they were working with GIAC chips/tuning which was one of the mods we did.

From their website (just an FYI - not an endorsement of any kind):

Dynospot Racing, Inc. Your Service Repair Experts for European and Japanese Imports

Dynospot Racing, Inc. is a true'bricks and mortar' business located in the heart of Northern California's ultra high-tech Silicon Valley that specializes in tuning and service of Audi, BMW, VW, and Honda. We actually own a Dynojet 248H dynamometer (Click Here for Dyno Charts) and develop and produce performance parts ourselves. We, at Dynospot Racing, Inc., are extreme performance enthusiasts like you. We love and have a passion for what we do and would gladly like to help you meet your needs with what we know. We also specialize in automotive performance parts.

Our Mission

Dynospot Racing, Inc. was started with the sole purpose of providing automotive enthusiasts with the best possible service and repair available on the market today, for your European Import or your Japanese Import. Here, at Dynospot Racing, Inc, we continue to carefully choose each product that we carry using price, quality, and “true” performance gains as our main criteria. When we are not satisfied with the available items offered on the open market, Dynospot Racing, Inc. often develops its own products. Such is the case with our Dynospot “S” and “R” series Race Cams and Dynospot “G-FLOW” MAF (Mass Air Flow) conversion kits. Part of Dynospot Racing’s mission is to stress to the public the concept of tuning, making the parts that you have work together. Remember, there are no generic performance recipes in the car-tuning world. Don’t find this out the hard $$$$ way.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I will chime in on exhaust, granted from the point of view of a different vehicle. The aftermarket did quite a bit of work on the exhaust system of the G8. It has very restrictive cats (exhaust flow makes a 90 deg turn in the cat) and 5 (!!) mufflers (two resonators, one 2-in 2-out and two axle back mufflers). The aftermarket stuff from Kooks and American Racing Headers added long tube headers, a smooth transition to the cat and removed the resonators and 2-in 2-out. At this point, you had two options keep the factory axle-backs or go aftermarket. The difference on the dyno between the stock and aftermarket was 2hp. 2hp!! Plus, due to the AFM (active fuel management - runs on 4 cyls) drone with anything but the stock axle backs was annoying (a couple of folks, after working on it a while, have come up with something to reduce the drone).

Anyway, all of that boils down to this. A cat-back will *usually* get you better sound, a negligible gain in power (unless you have an unusually restrictive exhaust) and drone issues at cruising speed.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well first of all, thank you, I appreciate the comment. Sadly, I will agree with the second part of your statement. :whiteflag:

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guy's make me want to keep everything stock.

Thank you I appreciate your opinions and info.

In the end:

- CAI provides zero to no gain in performance only improves sound.
- Exhaust provides a very small HP gain and improves sound
- Throttle body spacer doesn't do much good

** Doing all 3 may give you a tiny performance+better sound but your truck will run leaner due to more air and will require a tune. **

How's that sound guys?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^That about sums it up RIKU. A CAI and exhaust sound awesome. And they WILL increase your driving enjoyment if you like hearing your motor roar! Don't misunderstand that... if you dig a mean sounding engine, a CAI and/or exhaust is money well spent.

But in terms of actual HP/TQ, don't expect much if any. Buy them for the sound. Buy them for looks. And buy them as preparation for tuning; only after a good quality tune (in my experience) will you pick up any appreciable performance gains.

Make sense?

OP
OP
RIKU

RIKU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^That about sums it up RIKU. A CAI and exhaust sound awesome. And they WILL increase your driving enjoyment if you like hearing your motor roar! Don't misunderstand that... if you dig a mean sounding engine, a CAI and/or exhaust is money well spent.

But in terms of actual HP/TQ, don't expect much if any. Buy them for the sound. Buy them for looks. And buy them as preparation for tuning; only after a good quality tune (in my experience) will you pick up any appreciable performance gains.

Make sense?

Thank you Sir! Makes total sense.

Now if we could just get a straight answer on what a tune does to off road mode & hill decent.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Thank you Sir! Makes total sense.

Now if we could just get a straight answer on what a tune does to off road mode & hill decent.

Good luck with that one...every company that makes a tune won't answer that straight. Most don't even know there is an offroad mode. I did put a K&N CAI on and I usually wouldn't do a mod like that but the stock intake is horrid. After putting it on I noticed a lot nicer sound and seems to get a little boost in the fun-o-meter. I haven't tuned it, haven't thrown any codes and I have 4000 miles on since. Other than the CAI I don't plan on touching the engine...it was just I couldn't stand that intake and all the little compatments...horrid!!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well It probably doesn't mean much being a supercharged 5.4l but I dyno'd my truck before and after installed a exhaust system (everything from the manifolds back) and a CAI. The CAI used actually has the filter completely in closed and sucks air from the same spot as the factory air box. I didn't change anything to the tune either...truck runs slightly rich before and after...even with a new MAF and check up from the dealership.

Anyhow, I gained 7rwhp and 19rwtq. It's not much but I will say the exhaust is a LOT more tolerable on the inside and I can her the blower a lot more :thumbsup:

As for a Raptor, my take is this, I think you loose a certain amount of reliability in a vehicle when you start hotroding it out. So I think I'll leave the Raptor stock as much as possible.