A Ford tech's take on "THE CLUNK" (THE ONE and ONLY CLUNK THREAD)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elroy235

Reaction score
I really think it would answer the question of what the heck is going on. My original theory of it being caused by axle wrap is seeming less plausable. When the get re-lubed and the noise is gone shoots lots of holes in my theory. Something that may be happening is that daily driving the slip yoke will only move a small amount.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, after 137,000 miles, I have decided that I am fed up with the clunk on my 2011 SCrew. Is the official solution to replace the drive shaft with Teflon coated splines?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A new updated OEM Nickel Plated one will work the best in our trucks.
Anything else will create the binding situation your experiencing now.

MILRTME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've been looking at what you guys have said and I know I have the "clunk" in my raptor, so I have a buddy who CERAKOTE'S and think I'm gonna have him apply the "Micro slick dry film Cerakote coating" on it and see how it does. I'll keep all of you posted on how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MILRTME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update! Just got off the phone with my friend and am going to drop it off with him in the morning, he said he should be done Sunday so stay tuned!!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the stuff I used when I upgraded to the 1000HP Axel Exchanged driveshaft with the OEM stock front yoke.
Did that a year and a half ago, still no clunk!
Just make sure you brake clean the inside of the yoke out COMPLETELY!
And use a good paint brush to coat every square inch inside the splines, don't over pack it with grease it will only come out into the transfer case fluid.

big_DuP_GREASE_16oz_HVY_EQUIP_1412_BS_ACT_RGB.jpg

Last edited:

MILRTME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so I just picked up my drive shaft and it looks great!! Now time will only tell, I am not going to put grease on the splines as I want to see how this does! I will keep everyone posted.

f0d8f8bfb5d82946463346cc4efbd14f.jpgb83925154f8030679439bbcf8f844f44.jpg