6R80 transmission failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be honored to play with the banned <G> I may go out with the wife next time she goes to San Diego... be a good run to stretch the Raptor's legs and meet a bunch of new friends <G>.

Falcon

P.S. FSM06 and crew... do you thing the tranny in the Raptor R was a stock 6R80? If so the thing is bullet proof.
Good question Falcon. I highly doubt it though. Most offroad racing truck/buggies use manually shifted autos, with manual valve bodies similiar to the ole' 2-speed powerglide used in drag racing only with a couple more gears. No hesitation, no delay.......choose the gear and you got it right now. Would LOVE to know what was in the the Raptor R for tranny. ( Hey SOCO.......hint, hint,hint!)

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is priceless info! especially how new all our trannys are...

Im dead concerned considering i took my truck in 3 times to try and simulate the churping noises it makes while driving for long periods of time...

FSM06, is it true that if you got it documented, on file...and if you pass the 35K mark or 3 years, the tranny should still get fixed under warranty cause it was ID prior to? im kinda paranoid now

To some degree jesse, that is true. Again, it depends on the Dealer you are working with. If there are concerns that are difficult to duplicate, it certainly helps your case if you have expressed it to the dealer and documented requesition orders have been made. I recently was discussing the 6R80 with a fellow tech from a Dealer in Denver while at a training class and he mentioned a chirping during shifting that was VERY similiar to what you were describing that was repaired by replacing the O/D clutches in the transmission. From his description though, it seemed the concern was only in the early 2009 models and should not apply to the 2010 models. If you are still experiencing the concern, I would certainly visit him since he is close to you. PM me and I will give you the info on where he works and how to get ahold of him. He is an exceptional tranny tech.

FSM

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better watch yourself... Denver is on the way to San Diego <GG> "Du-dum dum dum dum Deer deer deer..." "SQUEAL like a pig boy!" ... Duh-da-dum-dum dum"

<GG>

Falcon

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OH ****!! I think I hear banjo music.........paddle faster!:panic:

FSM

Here's the crew...

deliverance.jpg

Squeal!

beatty1.jpg

Squeal!

del2-744554.jpg

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Good question Falcon. I highly doubt it though. Most offroad racing truck/buggies use manually shifted autos, with manual valve bodies similiar to the ole' 2-speed powerglide used in drag racing only with a couple more gears. No hesitation, no delay.......choose the gear and you got it right now. Would LOVE to know what was in the the Raptor R for tranny. ( Hey SOCO.......hint, hint,hint!)

From Jamal Hameedi - posted originally on Raptoroffroad.com

http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?1109-Another-6.2-review!/page5 (link to pirateair's post here on svtoffroad)

"It was decided that the truck was to remain mostly stock - much more so than a modern Class 8 truck. Most modern Class 8 trucks don't share suspension pickup points or really anything with the production truck they are based on. They are tube frame Trophy Trucks with remnants of a production frame embedded in them. Which means they have Trophy Truck levels of suspension travel and horsepower - and the Raptor R doesn't even approach that. We kept mostly stock driveline, trans, engine, and body. The rear suspension is leaf sprung (vs. Class 8 4 link coil over rear). The front and rear use production pickup points (vs. Class 8 inboard cage mount A arms/J arms ala Trophy Trucks). There is only 1 Fox Racing shock per corner (vs. coil over and bypass on most Class 8s). So we are a last minute entry, with a last minute truck, with a brand new team, entered in a class that is way above the content on the truck. Are you getting the picture here? We asked for a rear start because "we weren't racing - we were testing"….more on that later."

OP
OP
FSM06

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool info BS! WOW! that would be impressive for sure. He certainly eludes to the fact that the stock transmission may very well have been used. Thank you for posting that.

FSM

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They may have done some "electronic trickery" to allow manual shifts in all the gears but it wouldn't surprise me if they used a stock trans otherwise...

Why?

We've run through some pretty soft sand in A-B and Ocotillo Wells. That kind of running is HARD on an auto trans. (and very much the same terrain as baja) Not too many years ago a stock pickup truck trans would literally boil over when running in soft sand like that. (been there, done that... twice... once in a Ford and once in a Chebby... lucky the truck didn't catch on fire!).

I was really concerned the first time we got into some of that deep, soft, sand on a run....

But the Raptor? The trans temp doesn't budge enough to notice even after miles of hard running.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To some degree jesse, that is true. Again, it depends on the Dealer you are working with. If there are concerns that are difficult to duplicate, it certainly helps your case if you have expressed it to the dealer and documented requesition orders have been made. I recently was discussing the 6R80 with a fellow tech from a Dealer in Denver while at a training class and he mentioned a chirping during shifting that was VERY similiar to what you were describing that was repaired by replacing the O/D clutches in the transmission. From his description though, it seemed the concern was only in the early 2009 models and should not apply to the 2010 models. If you are still experiencing the concern, I would certainly visit him since he is close to you. PM me and I will give you the info on where he works and how to get ahold of him. He is an exceptional tranny tech.

FSM

your bad ass man! that would be awesome actually...as i go to denver quite often, so i can bring it to him just about anytime. PM is on its way sir...and thats what it sounds like...basically a churp between 1st and second shift, BUT only after a long haul..like a drive out to denver, it might be evident. im stoked now...i would really like to get it fixed as soon as possible, especially before i start hitting some more areas...killpecker (funny name) is one of the places next on my list. :mrgreen:

but thanks again, all your help is greatly appreciated.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From Jamal Hameedi - posted originally on Raptoroffroad.com

http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthread.php?1109-Another-6.2-review!/page5 (link to pirateair's post here on svtoffroad)

"It was decided that the truck was to remain mostly stock - much more so than a modern Class 8 truck. Most modern Class 8 trucks don't share suspension pickup points or really anything with the production truck they are based on. They are tube frame Trophy Trucks with remnants of a production frame embedded in them. Which means they have Trophy Truck levels of suspension travel and horsepower - and the Raptor R doesn't even approach that. We kept mostly stock driveline, trans, engine, and body. The rear suspension is leaf sprung (vs. Class 8 4 link coil over rear). The front and rear use production pickup points (vs. Class 8 inboard cage mount A arms/J arms ala Trophy Trucks). There is only 1 Fox Racing shock per corner (vs. coil over and bypass on most Class 8s). So we are a last minute entry, with a last minute truck, with a brand new team, entered in a class that is way above the content on the truck. Are you getting the picture here? We asked for a rear start because "we weren't racing - we were testing"….more on that later."

Great info! after watching the movie and seeing the truck cut in half, left doubts in my mind thinking what was HONESTLY in true stock form...bad ass to know our trannys are studs in true form lol