2015 Platinum now or wait on new raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are the 2017 considered Gen2?
Why the feeling the Gen2 won't be as good as, if not better than Gen1?

Yes the 2017s are considered the Gen 2s. People are not thrilled with the drivetrain of the Gen 2s being a Ecoboost. There is plenty of reading for you to do

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Are the 2017 considered Gen2?
Why the feeling the Gen2 won't be as good as, if not better than Gen1?

2010-14 are the 1st generation Raptors...

2017+ are 2nd generation...

The EcoBoost is no V8. There is no replacement for displacement and it is hard to go to a V6 after the experiencing the V8. The Gen2 will have a 10-speed automatic and at this point its an unknown performance/reliability wise.

For most though a Raptor without a V8 is no Raptor at all and that makes it a non-deal for most people.

ZeusMutation

Reaction score
I gotcha! Makes sense, I've only had trucks with V8's.

I have experience building V6 twin turbo engines... they can fly... but 6100 lbs give or take... not confident in moving that much weight with a v6

D

Deleted member 12951

Have they announced what the Gen2 raptor is going to weigh? With the aluminum body and smaller engine, it should weigh at least 500lbs less than Gen1.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard the weight yet but my jury is still out on the motor and it being all aluminum along with the 10 speed tranny and just the looks of it. Looks like a Chevy ***** a Dodge and you get what they are coming out with. Gen 1 Raptors have a personality, you see one and there is no doubt what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13raptorcrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor all the way. The exclusivity alone is worth it for me, nobody will hang an iPad out the window to take a picture when you drive a regular F150 haha

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is so much more fun and it's cheaper! I also vote for not only the Raptor but a gen1. If you really like the gen 2 more, you won't lose much when you trade in your gen 1.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have they announced what the Gen2 raptor is going to weigh? With the aluminum body and smaller engine, it should weigh at least 500lbs less than Gen1.

The 2014 Raptor is ~6100 and they say the Gen2 is 500lbs lighter so itll probably be in the ~5600ish lbs region.

I gotcha! Makes sense, I've only had trucks with V8's.

I have experience building V6 twin turbo engines... they can fly... but 6100 lbs give or take... not confident in moving that much weight with a v6

Just remember the Gen2 will have more hp and tq than the outgoing 6.2L v8. But like others have said the lack of v8 turns some people off of the Gen2 no matter the power numbers. Im being optimistic with the new 3.5L EB and think itll be a good motor. The 10 speed tranny may or may not be a good thing, only time will tell.

Rated R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been going through this dilemma for about two months. I like the Platinum and would enjoy it as a DD but I go dirt biking and am off road a fair amount. My Ram 1500 and my buddy's truck rattle like crazy on washboarded gravel roads heading out to the riding areas. I don't tow all that much either so any capability that a max tow Platinum would have over a Raptor wouldn't matter too much.

Really been on the fence about it, mainly because of having to wait. But if both were available side by side, optioned exactly the way I'd order them, being honest with myself I'd take the Raptor all day long. So I've decided that I will wait, wait to get what I really want. But that wait is going to suck...:pp:

Oh and hello and all that, first post here.