2013 has reinforced frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford has changed the inside section of the inside frame rail. The material is aprox double the thickness and extends for aprox 12" to the front and rear.

Our larger gusset plate fits with no issue, it is the small oval piece that we had to modify slightly.

Our bump stop kit fits just fine on the 13.

So, the frame shape is the same, the bump stop is in the same place, that section on the inside is now a bit thicker than the 2012's...

SDHQ

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So, the frame shape is the same, the bump stop is in the same place, that section on the inside is now a bit thicker than the 2012's...

Here you go-

Ford has changed the inside section of the inside frame rail. The material is aprox double the thickness and extends for aprox 12" to the front and rear.

Srock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that 2013 trucks do not need the additional support for moderate off-roading. I assume Ford's changes are to eliminate the bent frame issues.

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that 2013 trucks do not need the additional support for moderate off-roading. I assume Ford's changes are to eliminate the bent frame issues.

So with the extra metal, my question is the same. For minimal to moderate offroading, is the frame brace kit really needed? Or would some upgraded rear 3.0 shocks be sufficient...?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you assume that just because Ford added a plate to the inside of the frame?

Only because of what it takes to add that where it is... You dont just add the extra and continue with production... It would need to be tested... The big thing would be a crash to see what happens... Like I said just a guess here Im betting that the new F150 will be in 2015

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whats the possibility of Ford keeping that frame and having a totally new body style for 2014.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the possibility of Ford keeping that frame and having a totally new body style for 2014.

Yep possible for sure... I know for a fact that Ford's number 1 customer complaint is 6.2 MPG's something is going to happen big with the truck, just what only Ford knows but they are going to make some big changes and I think that its not going to be a gradual change like a body change this year and a frame change the next and a engine change the next. I think its going to be a all new change. Just a feeling I have... eh, I could be wrong to wont be the first and wont be the last... ha ha ha

Last edited: