15+ Frame Rails/Horns compares to Gen1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found any frame rail measurements on the 15+'s? Curious if distance across is same/close to 09-14. I know there is mention gen2 frame being unique to rap for '17, but figured the rail location would be the same and its just beefed up at points

Just curious of any potential for aftermarket bumpers carryover to Gen2? With or without some modifying of the horn or bumper mount? I assume it would need to shift up some to fill in the tapered valence sides

15 rails do look a bit taller...

6a00d83451b3c669e201a73db4fe27970d-pi.jpg

Reaction score
@Addictive Desert Designs @svc @RPG

Any insight on the frame rail differences?

The mounting style is the same, but the horn is a lot different. Just about every measurement of the front frame of the Gen2 is different than the Gen 1. Plus, the front valance is completely different. Different lines all together.

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks ADD

Just curious if us DIY bumper guys could modify our gen1 design, or if its a different ballpark. I was mostly interested in frame rail distance measurements, but do now have to factor intercooler, higher hoop to work with valence, etc

On a positive note, the more squared look might work out well for us that don't access to a radius bender . Although after building the last bumper I do recall saying we'd never do this again and just buy one from you guys :thumbsup:

Reaction score
It will just simply not work, too many different factors. Im sure a fabricator could make a Honda Civic bumper fit if they wanted to, just not practical.

We test fit our new redesigned honey badger bumpers on the 17 Raptor yesterday, you guys are gonna love them. A good bit slimmer than our old style, fits the new truck like a glove.

Drunktank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone see where the end of the frame rails arnt in relation to the grill and lower cross member? Are they shorter than the gen 1 frame horns?

I remember we all had to lop a good chunk off the front of our frames to install bumpers with decent approach angels. Would be nice if they were shorter so MAYBE the aftermarket could make some no cut bumpers with actual improvements in approach angles.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember we all had to lop a good chunk off the front of our frames to install bumpers with decent approach angels. Would be nice if they were shorter so MAYBE the aftermarket could make some no cut bumpers with actual improvements in approach angles.

I'm on my third set of bumper mounting plates, because I would not cut my frame horns on the Gen1 and the approach angle sucks so bad (and I use to run on top perch, 35"s, aftermarket bumper). I hit the bottom of dunes all the time and it would bend the bumper mounting plates and/or break welds. I was glad to see there is "a little" better approach (and departure) angle from the factory, but doubt it's enough. There's a dealer placard/brochure floating around here somewhere with the new stats.