Tranmission Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought i'd share something I learned over the last week. My transmission had been acting a little strange. 95% of the time it was flawless, but sometimes on deceleration the drivetrain would stay engaged. I could feel it, as I'd have to press the brake pedal more than normal. When this happened, the drivetrain would eventually disengage with a clunk sound and jerking of the truck. It wasn't violent by any means, but noticable.

Honestly it's been doing it for a while and wasn't annoying enough for me to take it in right away.

I finally took the truck in now that my schedule freed up. Turns out a bushing in my Failure in the CDF Clutch Drum. Dealer stated it was the most common failure they see, typicalily in new trucks (issue from factory) or higher mileage trucks as the bushing wears out.

It makes me wonder about the longevity of the 10-speed, but I'm happy that the dealership is treating me very well with a loaner car and a full transmission replacement (they can't get the parts to fix my existing transmission at the moment).

hingedthinker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had issues with both my 2018 Raptor and the 2019 Lincoln. Lincoln already had to replace the 10 speed on the Navigator once. It still shows the same symptoms after the "fix" so I suspect it will go out eventually too. The transmission in my Raptor was replaced before I purchased it as second owner at 90k miles, ~116k when I got it. From my perspective, there is something to the pattern. The 10 speed in my F350 6.7 DRW was flawless...

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just been through this debacle with my 2020. Basically 67k and sleeve had slipped. Also found it is not a matter of if, but when according to "most" techs. All the way up to some time in 2023 I believe? Could be wrong, I forget, but all on 2nd gen into Gen 3.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I wonder what the service records look like on these failed trannys? The fluid is not “lifetime“ unless you're talking the life of the trans. Yep, just run it until it fails. Thats lifetime all right…

OP
OP
raydulce

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've just been through this debacle with my 2020. Basically 67k and sleeve had slipped. Also found it is not a matter of if, but when according to "most" techs. All the way up to some time in 2023 I believe? Could be wrong, I forget, but all on 2nd gen into Gen 3.
Glad I got the extended warranty... but still not confidence inspiring!

roger7254

Reaction score
Yes, Ford has introduced the new CDF (Center Distance Fixed) clutch drum for their 2024 models, which aims to address various issues that owners have encountered. The TSB 23-2250 addresses specific problems related to the transmission or clutch system, providing a fix or upgrade to improve performance and reliability.

If you're experiencing issues related to the clutch or transmission on your vehicle, referring to TSB 23-2250 could provide useful information and a potential solution.

OP
OP
raydulce

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T
Yes, Ford has introduced the new CDF (Center Distance Fixed) clutch drum for their 2024 models, which aims to address various issues that owners have encountered. The TSB 23-2250 addresses specific problems related to the transmission or clutch system, providing a fix or upgrade to improve performance and reliability.

If you're experiencing issues related to the clutch or transmission on your vehicle, referring to TSB 23-2250 could provide useful information and a potential solution.
That explains a lot. Thanks for sharing!