Spark Plug Gapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fellow FRF folks,

I have a very rookie question regarding spark plugs and gapping.

I’m planning on replacing the spark plugs by myself for the first time ever in my life and I do have them replaced every 15k as recommended by Goosetune for stage 2 tuned Raptors.

I bought new M-12405-35T plugs and I checked and gapped them using the coin style gapping tool. They were all around .025 and recommended is .026-.028. That being said, I later found out that using the coin to check and adjust gap on iridium plugs, which these are, is a big no-no as you can damage the center electrode.

During my research, I saw that it was recommended to use the feeler style tool to check the gap on iridium plugs.

That being said, here is my question.

What difference does it make using the feeler vs coin style gapping tool when both end up making rubbing contact with the center electrode?

As for gapping with the coin, there’s a hole in the middle of it which was used to widen the gap and DOES NOT come in contact with the electrode. Is the coin not recommended because people are just using the measuring portion to widen the gap and using the electrode as leverage thus bending/breaking it off?