GEN 1 Quick question factory fox shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure thats 100% correct. I never took physics nor am i a suspension expert but from what i understand one side of the IFP is 100% fluid and the other side is 100% gas. Gas compresses, fluid does not. In its free state (not on the truck) the shaft should be fully extended and no empty space in the fluid portion of the shock. As soon as you compress the shock and the shaft moves into that chamber it displaces the fluid and the only place for it to go is into the IFP chamber so the IFP should move as the shaft moves, regardless of speed. Again, i could be wrong but thats how i understand it. An easy experiment would be to rebuild a rear shock, charge it to 200psi and leave the gauge on and install it on the truck and see if the pressure changes when you take it off the jack stands. Maybe I'll do that when i install my bump stop kit.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just built mine last weekend set them a 210 so this will be easy. To test.
wheel off the ground 210 Psi
tempImageuvyy8q.png
Wheel on the ground
tempImageCc3i6f.png
I would call it 230 psi so I was wrong @Jhollowell is correct. and there is your number for setting on the ground for the front. I didn't rebuild Bozz Or Mwait09 shocks they were done hammer and Texas shock works. Bozz is running hammer still and mwite09 is running mine currently.
I told you he was smarter than me. LOL

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
I just built mine last weekend set them a 210 so this will be easy. To test.
wheel off the ground 210 Psi
View attachment 453046
Wheel on the ground
View attachment 453045
I would call it 230 psi so I was wrong @Jhollowell is correct. and there is your number for setting on the ground for the front. I didn't rebuild Bozz Or Mwait09 shocks they were done hammer and Texas shock works. Bozz is running hammer still and mwite09 is running mine currently.
I told you he was smarter than me. LOL
Mine were set at 250psi when I got them redone a year ago. @Gumby put a guage on them a week or two ago and they were still at 250psi. I've done tons of off-roading, sand dunes, road driving, etc.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The guy that serviced mine set them 170 on my Gen 1. He told me was perfect setting cause it saves wear and tear on other suspension components like ball joints. Told me it was from testing they did. Could be wrong and argumentative but it sure does ride nice. I'm thinking about bumping them up a bit

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy that serviced mine set them 170 on my Gen 1. He told me was perfect setting cause it saves wear and tear on other suspension components like ball joints. Told me it was from testing they did. Could be wrong and argumentative but it sure does ride nice. I'm thinking about bumping them up a bit
Probably the same reason they came from the factory at bottom perch instead of mid perch, cushier ride and most people aren't pushing it hard offroad frequently (I'm just as guilty there heh).

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the same reason they came from the factory at bottom perch instead of mid perch, cushier ride and most people aren't pushing it hard offroad frequently (I'm just as guilty there heh).
I'm at Mid Pirch. He told me it was a DOT thing that set the bumper height. Mid Perch was what what it was originally designed to sit