Puddle/Cargo Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fast Forward about a week. The new RPG 3rd brake light delivered from BBO. I've got it installed, but my clear led's don't light up with the cargo light. I hooked up Forscan and ran a scan. U1000:00:0A - Solid State Drive Protection Activated - Driver Disabled and also U3000:49-8A - Internal Electronic Failure. Both in the BCM. Checked my puddle light and it is not working either.
BUT - Here's a question - From what I understand, if a fault repeats at a pre-determined frequency, it kicks on the U1000 and U3000 codes. Is that correct? Clearing DTC's in Forscan is not clearing the U1000 and U3000 codes. Let's say I find a bare spot, and fix it. Will the code clear when the true fault is cleared and if not, how in the world do you get the code to clear? I've reset about every module that I can.
Correct. Once those DTCs set the circuit output is disabled and the BCM needs to be replaced.

Your Amazon lights are most likely what killed it. When the current draw is out of spec, the BCM will set a DTC and eventually disable the circuit. If the fault continues to exist it will disable the driver permanently.

Best solution is to return all lights to stock, verify no shorts/opens exist, and then replace the BCM.

mwaite09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having the same issue, local dealer wanted $625 but has 126 on backorder with no delivery date. Found one online for $400 shipped and dealer install $225. @FordTechOne, does this new module need to be programmed or is it plug and play? And finally, where is the module located?

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having the same issue, local dealer wanted $625 but has 126 on backorder with no delivery date. Found one online for $400 shipped and dealer install $225. @FordTechOne, does this new module need to be programmed or is it plug and play? And finally, where is the module located?
Yes, BCM requires programming, including key programming. If you buy it online and it’s an incorrect or faulty part you’ll end up having to pay the dealer for their time to remove/install and trying unsuccessfully program it. Better to buy it through the dealer and have them install and program it so you’re not responsible if something goes wrong.

mwaite09

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, BCM requires programming, including key programming. If you buy it online and it’s an incorrect or faulty part you’ll end up having to pay the dealer for their time to remove/install and trying unsuccessfully program it. Better to buy it through the dealer and have them install and program it so you’re not responsible if something goes wrong.
Good to know, thank you. The one I ordered online was an OEM at another Ford dealer, (quantity of 6 per their website) shortly after payment I received an email stating there is national backorder of 128 units with no ETA... Canceled my order