POLL: If Ford offers engine option (V6 and V8), which one would you pick?

Which engine would you choose in the 2017 raptor?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To all you V6 nitwits out there: Keep in mind that a V8 can be naturally balanced, a V6 can not.
Even using balance shafts a V6 will never run as harmonies as a V8 (it's that four cycle and opposing forces thing...)

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To all you V6 nitwits out there: Keep in mind that a V8 can be naturally balanced, a V6 can not.
Even using balance shafts a V6 will never run as harmonies as a V8 (it's that four cycle and opposing forces thing...)

Gonna have to go flat six then.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gonna have to go flat six then.
Boxer engines are proven smooth concepts (with the exception of the opposed twin; inherent twisting forces)
Problem is that you have to design the truck around it, you just can not simply drop a flat six in to an existing F150.

Darb

Reaction score
Let me educate you.

When the 3.5L V6 EB comes out in the Ford GT, it will be an all new EB. IN other words, it shares nothing with the current EB in the 2015 F150.

"Calling the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 that's destined for the new Ford GT and second-generation Raptor pickup a high-output version is a bit disingenuous. Ford basically wiped the slate clean to make it, retaining only the displacement measurement—and, you know, the fact it has six cylinders in a vee configuration fed by turbochargers and direct injection.

It starts with a new block, heads, pistons, and intake, plus bigger turbos. Ford adds a dual-injection system, a combination of port and direct fuel injection, like Subaru uses on the BRZ/FR-S motor. That makes the H.O. 3.5 the first and only EcoBoost engine to use port injection. Ford calls this a second-generation EcoBoost, so maybe that dual-injection scheme will spread to other engines.
"

So why did Ford choose a smaller engine? Simply put, to go racing at lemans:

https://youtu.be/nVa4mlFZEmM

If the Ford GT were to run let's say a v8 EB then they would be heavily penalized at Le Man. So Ford developed a smaller engine to go racing. And to not waste too much money on a race car and also a super sports car (GT), the technology will trickle down to the Raptor. As of right now, only the GT and 2017 Raptor will use this new 3.5L V6 EB. Numbers have not been released but this new engine will put out 600hp easily in the GT. I know the Raptor will have a detuned version (smaller turbos) but I think guys would be ecstatic if the 2017 raptor were to put out 500 foot-pounds and 500HP ... and have the possibility of much more.

Yeah, I've read all the info on the new Raptor engine. Thanks.
The poll asks if you would pick an ecoboost V6 or v8. Not why Ford chose the V6.....

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread is funny in that it suggest that customers have a choice. We don't! The 2017 Raptor will run a v6 TT and that's the only option. Will Ford offer a V8? I highly doubted. Too much marketing/investment already in the V6 EB. If sales are low then perhaps in 2019 but no way will we have an engine option in 2017 or 2018.

Everybody will complain about the v6 and the same folks will complain in 2017 that they can't get one at invoice.

Yeah, I've read all the info on the new Raptor engine. Thanks.
The poll asks if you would pick an ecoboost V6 or v8. Not why Ford chose the V6.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, he ^^ must work for ford since he can make absolute statements , let's not have any alternate discussions on a ....discussion forum. The debate is over.

Seriously though, you don't have to keep stroking yourself in this thread, we know where you stand.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't work for Ford. And yes, it is a forum so discuss all you want.

As for me I try to discuss the possible and not in the impossible.

Ford is not going to spend ten of millions on the EB on the majority of their cars and then not use it.

BTW, my comments were part of the discussion and you are only upset as its contradicts what you want to hear.

Hey guys, he ^^ must work for ford since he can make absolute statements , let's not have any alternate discussions on a ....discussion forum. The debate is over.

Seriously though, you don't have to keep stroking yourself in this thread, we know where you stand.