**OPINION NEEDED*** A-pillar vs Behind Grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I currently have 2 Baja S-2 pro on my A-pillar. For Country backroads / night driving but I’m thinking about going for a cleaner look. Will the behind the grill lights give me same width on country roads. I do t want to take down the S-2’s and not get the coverage I currently have?

Please give me opinions….

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Depending on _where_ you are in MD, the DMV are not terribly friendly to off-road lights. Last I knew, MD still had the one time, point of registration inspection, where VA does it annually. They have similar requirements in that connected lights must work, and be generally road legal. I mostly had issues at inspection stations in VA. I’d keep covers handy if you have non SAE lights.

That said, both have their place but for A pillars you are WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY underpowered. S2’s are for reverse / rear running lights. For A pillars you want something like the B/D LP4’s or XL80’s.

IMG_6296.jpg

I’d suggest if you’re worried mostly about roadside critters, I’d get a pair of squadron pro wide corners, to go with your squadron pro spots, and amber combos, to complement your XL80s that you put where the S2’s are, which you’ll move to the rear bumper with a relay going to an up fitter and tied to the trailer harness for reverse activation as well.

But that’s just me.

OP
OP
MDRAPTR

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on _where_ you are in MD, the DMV are not terribly friendly to off-road lights. Last I knew, MD still had the one time, point of registration inspection, where VA does it annually. They have similar requirements in that connected lights must work, and be generally road legal. I mostly had issues at inspection stations in VA. I’d keep covers handy if you have non SAE lights.

That said, both have their place but for A pillars you are WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY underpowered. S2’s are for reverse / rear running lights. For A pillars you want something like the B/D LP4’s or XL80’s.

View attachment 466175

I’d suggest if you’re worried mostly about roadside critters, I’d get a pair of squadron pro wide corners, to go with your squadron pro spots, and amber combos, to complement your XL80s that you put where the S2’s are, which you’ll move to the rear bumper with a relay going to an up fitter and tied to the trailer harness for reverse activation as well.

But that’s just me.
I’m in the boons… 5 miles south of PA line about 1 hr from Baltimore . People don’t give a shit up here. I’m tired of the Apillar look for me. I would move the S2’s to the Rear.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
ok, so as long as you aren’t south of b-more or the DC corridor, you should be ok... although MSP are alpha hotels throughout the state...

The lights down low aren’t going to project as far without being obstructed. An S8 grille light is ok, but as @Nex pointed out, you’re giving up some cooling capacity. Towing something really heavy is probably a hard no. However, the S8’s throw light at headlight level, so while you lose some output due to the grille, it’s still plenty bright and throws respectably. The A pillars will throw won’t be obstructed as easily and you can get awesome distance.

Any supporting vendor on here can help !

OP
OP
MDRAPTR

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so as long as you aren’t south of b-more or the DC corridor, you should be ok... although MSP are alpha hotels throughout the state...

The lights down low aren’t going to project as far without being obstructed. An S8 grille light is ok, but as @Nex pointed out, you’re giving up some cooling capacity. Towing something really heavy is probably a hard no. However, the S8’s throw light at headlight level, so while you lose some output due to the grille, it’s still plenty bright and throws respectably. The A pillars will throw won’t be obstructed as easily and you can get awesome distance.

Any supporting vendor on here can help !
Yeah I almost never towing..my Raptor is a mobile sales office. I basically live in it. Still evaluating. Not sure WTH I want to do

Last edited: