Its not looking good boys...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will reevaluate this.

I will call RMB and Livernois again.

I do not want a reman engine that does not come with the items that ford suggest that need to be updated. I need all TSBs included in the engine. Fraser had that engine but every time I call them I can't get through.

raptor52

Reaction score
There are a lot of workmanship possibilities here. First, has the shop done this repair before? Meaning they’re competent and have all the necessary special tools? The torque spec on the crank bolt is critical; if it was improperly torqued, the crank gear will crack and it will have noise in the area described. Start there.

Phasers do not rattle once the engine is running and has sufficient oil pressure to the heads. Did they check for cam cap scoring? You mentioned it was low on oil, that’s what causes cam journal damage. That bleeds off the oil to the phasers, starving them of oil pressure/volume.

Once the timing cover it off they need to inspect the plug in the block that goes behind the timing cover. It’s critical that it’s not pushed forward and bleeding oil pressure out. I’ll include a picture for reference.
This is a stupid question - Can this plug be accessed easily, or is it a hassle to get to? Im not a mechanic and it shows...

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question and I will let someone else answer.

Additional info for me:

I went to the shop on WED and I was shown that the crank shaft is literally wobbling inside the engine.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question and I will let someone else answer.

Additional info for me:

I went to the shop on WED and I was shown that the crank shaft is literally wobbling inside the engine.
It's just getting broke in! :Big Laugh:

(opinion)
But I find it hard to believe that a "wobbly" crank shaft hasn't torn up the front or rear main seals and spewed earl everywhere. I'm really not questioning the shop but that is a little outlandish for a running motor with a slight knock unless you just immediately stopped driving as soon as you heard it. This kind of sucks tho, because now I know I have to wait for another 100k before I can in good conscious try and sell a RMB motor swap to my wife.....

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is a stupid question - Can this plug be accessed easily, or is it a hassle to get to? Im not a mechanic and it shows...
Timing cover needs to be removed. It’s not an issue unless the tech is careless when doing a repair.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spoke to a few people, lots of ppl are suggesting a regular Tasca reman'd engine is fine for the regular driver.

Some say that there are some upgrades that should be done even to a reman'd engine. I am considering just getting the reman'd Tascha for $5500 and new OEM turbos and going with Goosetuned vs my MPT and calling it a day. Perhaps a new alternator while its there but other than that, the entire cooling system is basically new, roughly 20,000 on it.

I can't see a real reason to spend north of $7k on a "super gen 2 engine" for it to fail in another 150+k.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I spoke to a few people, lots of ppl are suggesting a regular Tasca reman'd engine is fine for the regular driver.

Some say that there are some upgrades that should be done even to a reman'd engine. I am considering just getting the reman'd Tascha for $5500 and new OEM turbos and going with Goosetuned vs my MPT and calling it a day. Perhaps a new alternator while its there but other than that, the entire cooling system is basically new, roughly 20,000 on it.

I can't see a real reason to spend north of $7k on a "super gen 2 engine" for it to fail in another 150+k.
Your engine failed from poor workmanship at an aftermarket shop. Not from a defect.