Expected Gas Mileage for 2017 Raptor? (10-Speed Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 10 speed wont do anything for long distance hwy driving its for slow speed driving to keep it in the optimal tq range. I am thinking it should get 10-20% better than the current one. According to https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/34538.shtml they saying 11/16 combined 13 for the 2014 so my guess is 13-14/19-20

Last edited:

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not in California.

For real, I left $2.50 gas here in Louisiana and was greeted by $4.50 gas when I went to Monterey for car week. Burned through a few tanks over that week :D

Makes me wonder what gas will cost there when it gets expensive again...

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of optimists on MPG. Granted the 10 speed will be interesting, but I have owned two F150's with the ecoboost. The supercab consistently got 16-17 combined with 3.73s and My Supercrew got 13-14 combined with 3.55s. Throw some 35" E Load range tires on there and I doubt you will see good MPG. Other thing is that in those two trucks, the 3.5 seemed much more sensitive to changes (leveling kit, larger tires, etc) and MPG would be negatively affected. Maybe with 4.10s and a 10 speed it will be different, but I'm not betting on it.

On a side note I get 15 combined in my 2013 Screw. That's better than my 2014 screw KR.

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of optimists on MPG. Granted the 10 speed will be interesting, but I have owned two F150's with the ecoboost. The supercab consistently got 16-17 combined with 3.73s and My Supercrew got 13-14 combined with 3.55s. Throw some 35" E Load range tires on there and I doubt you will see good MPG. Other thing is that in those two trucks, the 3.5 seemed much more sensitive to changes (leveling kit, larger tires, etc) and MPG would be negatively affected. Maybe with 4.10s and a 10 speed it will be different, but I'm not betting on it.

On a side note I get 15 combined in my 2013 Screw. That's better than my 2014 screw KR.

None of these trucks are going to get "good" mileage, but without a doubt the Gen 2 raptor will get better mileage than the Gen1.

Conservatively, less weight and going turbo will allow the Raptor to pick up at least 2mpg city and highway, and the 10 speed will likely add another 1 or 2 mpg highway. I wouldn't be surprised if >20mpg highway cruising is achievable.

But what it will realistically mean is that guys who got ~8mpg driving hard in their 1st Gens will get ~9.5 driving hard in their 2nd Gens. Which is welcome IMO.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of these trucks are going to get "good" mileage, but without a doubt the Gen 2 raptor will get better mileage than the Gen1.

Conservatively, less weight and going turbo will allow the Raptor to pick up at least 2mpg city and highway, and the 10 speed will likely add another 1 or 2 mpg highway. I wouldn't be surprised if >20mpg highway cruising is achievable.

But what it will realistically mean is that guys who got ~8mpg driving hard in their 1st Gens will get ~9.5 driving hard in their 2nd Gens. Which is welcome IMO.

I agree with the last sentence. But I would bet the farm that you will not see that large of a jump in MPG. And it's like anything else...drive it hard and MPG is out the window...but the ecoboost is a different animal. Anything over 60-65 mph and your MPG drops exponentially, since you're constantly into the boost. I don't have that problem with the 6.2. I'm not writing it off completely, but after putting over 100k on that engine, I know what I'd be realistically getting into.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really have to learn how to modulate throttle and coast to get the MPGs up on the EB.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely - aka keep the turbos off. Then it's not as fun to drive....