Best tonneau cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ganooch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time Raptor owner here, so, as usual, I want to pick your brains so I make a smart decision. I am not ordering a tonneau cover with my Gen 3 build because I will be damned if a dumb cover holds up my build. Also, I have to imagine there are better options than the three or so Ford has on the B&P.

What is the best cover for a Raptor on the aftermarket? I want something that looks good, is secure, and is practical (doesn't take up too much bed real estate when it is open).

Thanks in advance.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a backflip MX2 on my Raptor and a tuxedo soft roll up cover on my F350 Tremor.

They both have their pros and cons.

MX4 pros: very secure, durable, nearly everything stays dry and its unassuming.

Cons: heavy, expensive, gets out of alignment after off-roading, to use the whole bed the cover rests against the cab. That part I hate! And when the family goes mountain biking I open it up 2/3rds and it's still not enough room.

Tuxedo soft roll up pros: cheaper than a Backflip, easy install and removal by yourself, still keeps the box dry, easier to utilize the whole box when you need it.

Cons: I'll say zero security lol.. anyone can get in with a knife or something sharp. Not as durable over time as I'd like.

So it really depends on where you are, how much you use the box for things like bikes, camping gear, etc. Between the 2 my soft cover is just better for the daily trips where I need the whole box.

And a tonneau cover won't hold up your build.. the dealer will install it when the truck gets delivered, at least that's been my experiences.

slv_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a backflip MX2 on my Raptor and a tuxedo soft roll up cover on my F350 Tremor.

They both have their pros and cons.

MX4 pros: very secure, durable, nearly everything stays dry and its unassuming.

Cons: heavy, expensive, gets out of alignment after off-roading, to use the whole bed the cover rests against the cab. That part I hate! And when the family goes mountain biking I open it up 2/3rds and it's still not enough room.

Tuxedo soft roll up pros: cheaper than a Backflip, easy install and removal by yourself, still keeps the box dry, easier to utilize the whole box when you need it.

Cons: I'll say zero security lol.. anyone can get in with a knife or something sharp. Not as durable over time as I'd like.

So it really depends on where you are, how much you use the box for things like bikes, camping gear, etc. Between the 2 my soft cover is just better for the daily trips where I need the whole box.

And a tonneau cover won't hold up your build.. the dealer will install it when the truck gets delivered, at least that's been my experiences.
I'm considering trying out the Revolver X4s so the rear window isn't blocked if I need the whole bed. It's a roll up but it's made of aluminum slats.

The downside is that the seal near the tailgate is different from the Bakflip so more water tends to get into the bed.

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a Bakflip on my Gen 1 Raptor then went with a RetaxPro on my Gen 2. Depends on what's important to you. The Retrax definitely takes up some bed space but is really nice and it's lockable. You can stop and lock it in any position and it won't block your rear window. The Bakflip won't take up extra bed space and is lighter weight. They both offer equal protection against rain.

Vintage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been years since I owned a pickup. So I did a lot of research on a tonneau cover. I ended up going with the factory Retractable. From what I can tell it's the most secure, easy-to-use and most waterproof. I decided to go factory because it's covered under factory warranty. The only downside was the loss of aliitle bed space in front but my buddy owns one and said you can slide items underneath. He usually buys new pickups every few years and said he won't own a pickup without a retractable tonneau cover. I would also check this forum as they're other threads on different covers with excellent reviews. In the end choosing from the different types will depends on your specific needs.

Chainsaw

Ghost of a Raptor Owner
Reaction score
I had a BakFlip on Raptor and now have RetraxPRO on TRX.

Both are quality, well-made covers that will keep water out and your stuff secure (or at least keep honest people honest).

BakFlip completely blocks rear window when all the way up, and can only open at fixed intervals.

RetraxPRO is almost double the price and takes up a small amount of bed space, but can be opened at any interval and does not block view.

I am happier with the RetraxPRO.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with the others. You first need to decide what type of cover you want. Even then there are several good options to pick from depending on your particular budget and tastes. For example, if you get a retractable cover, are you good with plastic or want the added protection of aluminum? Do you need it to support something built over the top? Do you want it to be powered?

I went with the retrac MX, and I think it was a good choice for me. I don't have to open it up often, but it's easy and convenient when I do. Had a tri-fold one before and I didn't like it much. Never tried a soft or hard top.