Advice on buying high mileage truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slideways247

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking at buying a 2020 Leadfoot Grey with 106k miles. One owner with regular maintenance with all records. Has ADD bumpers, Fuel wheels, some light bars and other lights. Said he had PPF on the whole truck and was just taken off for the sale. Very clean truck. Is $44k a good price? I'm just concerned about the miles. Can a warranty still be purchased for something with that many miles on it? Should I even be concerned with a 2020 since most of the problems except for the CDF drum were worked out by then? Thanks for any input and advice.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking at buying a 2020 Leadfoot Grey with 106k miles. One owner with regular maintenance with all records. Has ADD bumpers, Fuel wheels, some light bars and other lights. Said he had PPF on the whole truck and was just taken off for the sale. Very clean truck. Is $44k a good price? I'm just concerned about the miles. Can a warranty still be purchased for something with that many miles on it? Should I even be concerned with a 2020 since most of the problems except for the CDF drum were worked out by then? Thanks for any input and advice.
Watch this..... I would check all of this stuff. and not the phaser part.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
The price seems really low! Buying used is always a gamble since we don't have a crystal ball. I would take it to a good mechanic and have him look it over and do the research mentioned above to make your mind on buying or not.

OP
OP
S

slideways247

Reaction score
44k sounds a little spendy for a 4 y.o. 106k mile truck. Were shocks replaced?
any oil analysis reports?
do maint. records indicate diff / trans / coolant / transfer case(?) fluid changed?
Was it tuned?
how are the tires?

2020 is the most mature of the Jen Too, but still has some issues that can be found. See: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/buying-a-used-2017-2020-“jen-too”-raptor-some-things-to-look-for.101501/
It sounds a little high to me as well. But yes, he has all the maint. records for diffs, tcase, trans, coolant. They just did the 100k service on it as well. Apparently he took the shocks to a rebuilder and at 60k and at 95k and they told him they were fine and not to waste his money. Says the truck is a pavement princess and only saw dirt to take his SXS to ride. It's going to need tires probably in the next few thousand miles.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
95k and they told him they were fine and not to waste his money
Almost certainly, that’s false, unless at 95k he knew he was going to sell it soon and told the shop that. In that context, at 200 / shock to rebuild, plus downtime / labor to reinstall, I can see that expense being ’not worth it’ to turn around and sell the truck a few weeks or months later.

but they will definitely need rebuilding at 106k if they weren’t replaced or rebuilt before.
It's going to need tires

So, you’re looking at about $2500 in expenses here and plus painting the primer grey.
Take a close look at the engine bay, as @Gumby alluded to.

Get a good test drive, all of the drive modes and make sure the shocks are at least acceptable for short term use until a rebuild.
For me, I’d be around 39k but I’m just guessing here. Maybe 40 flat.

OP
OP
S

slideways247

Reaction score
So, you’re looking at about $2500 in expenses here and plus painting the primer grey.
Take a close look at the engine bay, as @Gumby alluded to.
What do you mean about painting the primer grey? Truck is painted and immaculate. My main concern with the truck is the CDF drum in the transmission. At 100k miles it's bound to fail any minute. Pretty sure I won't be able to buy a warranty for it with that mileage.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
What do you mean about painting the primer grey? Truck is painted and immaculate.
Leadfoot = primer. with some shine to it. Same color is available from Toy, brand b and I think VW - likely more.
My main concern with the truck is the CDF drum in the transmission. At 100k miles it's bound to fail any minute. Pretty sure I won't be able to buy a warranty for it with that mileage.
I don’t recall a single FRF having reported this failure. Not that it hasn’t ever happened, just that I don’t know any here who have had that failure.

OP
OP
S

slideways247

Reaction score
Leadfoot = primer. with some shine to it. Same color is available from Toy, brand b and I think VW - likely more.
Oh, I gotcha. Yeah, when I first saw that color, I think it was on a Toyota, I thought, oh look, shiny battleship grey. But its starting to grow on me.
I don’t recall a single FRF having reported this failure. Not that it hasn’t ever happened, just that I don’t know any here who have had that failure.
Sorry I'm not up to speed on the lingo with these trucks. I've been in the heavy equipment and diesel truck repair field for the last 10 or so years. What is FRF?
I see there have been numerous class action law suits and TSBs issued for concerns with this transmission.