2024 Moonroof Initialization

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerlies

Reaction score
Does anyone know the initialization process for the moonroof on the 2024's. I tried the 23 process and it didn't work. I somehow got the window and shade to close. Seems to be working fine now. I tried many different scenarios on the initialization so I cant tell you what worked or if it fixed itself. I would like to know the process for future problems. I know.. I didn't want a moonroof but it had everything else I wanted. Its funny because this is the first time I used the moonroof since I purchased it (April 6th). It made me laugh when it didn't work.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Power Roof Opening Panel Initialization​

Activation

All vehicles

warning.jpg
WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE:
The roof opening panel motor must be initialized when repairs are carried out on the roof opening panel system, including: any time the roof opening panel motor has been removed, the roof opening panel glass (fixed panoramic or front sliding) has been removed or adjusted, or if the roof opening panel frame has been removed.

NOTE: If the roof opening panel motors are removed and then reinstalled, they must be returned to the same location (driver side or passenger side) they were removed from, with the roof opening panel in the same state (opened or closed) they were in when the motors were removed, or the system will not function correctly and re-intialization may not be possible.

NOTE: Carrying out the initialization procedure will initialize both the roof opening panel glass motor and the shield (sunshade) motor.

NOTE: A fully functional system features One Touch Open and One Touch Close. If these features are not available, the system requires initialization.

NOTE: The battery must be fully charged while performing the initialization procedure. The procedure cannot be completed if the battery is in a low state of charge.

1. Open the driver side door and leave it open for the entire procedure.
Vehicles With Push Start Systems

1. For push start systems without stepping on the brake pedal, press the PUSH TO START button to enter Accessory Mode.
Vehicles With Key Start Systems

1. For 'Key Start' systems, step on the brake and switch the engine ON (engine running).
All vehicles

1. If the One Touch Close feature is functioning, move both the sliding glass and shield to the fully closed position. Otherwise, go directly to step 4.
  1. Locate the Glass Vent and Shield Open switches on the overhead console and be prepared to use both thumbs to press the two switches simultaneously.
Vehicles With Push Start Systems

1. Complete the following within 3 seconds:
    • Without stepping on the brake pedal, press the PUSH TO START button twice in rapid succession to switch Accessory Mode OFF and then back to ON.
    • Use both thumbs to press and then quickly release the Glass Vent and Shield Open switches simultaneously. The shield will initialize and then remain closed while the sliding glass initializes.
Vehicles With Key Start Systems

1. Complete the following within 3 seconds:
    • Step on the brake pedal and switch the engine from ON (engine running) to OFF, and then back to ON (engine running).
    • Use both thumbs to press and then quickly release the Glass Vent and Shield Open switches simultaneously. The shield will initialize and then remain closed while the sliding glass initializes.
All vehicles

1. Before switching Accessory Mode OFF again, verify successful initialization by opening the shield with the Shield Open switch.
  1. If the One Touch Open and One Touch Close features do not function for both the sliding glass and shield after ignition has been cycled:
    • Switch Accessory Mode/engine from ON to OFF.
    • Wait 5 seconds.
    • Repeat the entire procedure.

OP
OP
P

Powerlies

Reaction score
Thank you very much. I just tried it and the process does work. Do you happen to know what step 4 is? I ask because my original issue was I opened the Shield to the halfway point and after that nothing worked. I could here clicking back by the rear window but no action. I just keep pushing buttons till I got it to close. Once closed I couldn't get anything to open again. That's when I first tried the initialization process with no success. I do thank you for verify the process!

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much. I just tried it and the process does work. Do you happen to know what step 4 is? I ask because my original issue was I opened the Shield to the halfway point and after that nothing worked. I could here clicking back by the rear window but no action. I just keep pushing buttons till I got it to close. Once closed I couldn't get anything to open again. That's when I first tried the initialization process with no success. I do thank you for verify the process!
I don’t know why it changed everything to “1” when I copied it over, but step 4 is actually the step that references going to step 4. So seems like an error in the Workshop manual procedure.