MY19 just under 18k miles, zero issues... wondering if I have a phaser "time bomb" that *will* go off some day?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with @smurfslayer I have a 18 and had the phasers fail twice both times replaced under warranty luckily the last one was with all revised parts. I do believe it will is a crap shoot if yours will fail or not yes there are components that lead to the failure but not always and probably more likely under different conditions. In my opinion run it, enjoy it and don’t worry about it. Unless you have the itch for a replacement to a newer Raptor than pull the trigger for that reason not to try and time a purchase before a possible failure of a component that “might” fail in the future. Not sure if that helps but hope so.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused by the cam phaser issue and I'm a very low milage driver 98% street queen. I remember getting my cam phaser recall notice years ago and the dealer told me it was just to fix them *if they had failed* but that they would not proactively do it. Fine by me, whatever. My question now: are the phasers basically guaranteed to fail at some point? Maybe there's a specific mfg month where we know the problem was corrected at manufacture time? I don't remember my date offhand but I bought my truck in Feb 2020 so it might be a late 2019 build (I'm just guessing).
I hope I am not jinxing myself here, but I have a 2017 I ordered with 4 miles on the odometer that has not had the cam phaser issue. I just turned 102,000 miles.

I change the oil every 5000 miles no matter what.