GEN3 Ford Raptor R Owner Pics!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dirt doesn't cause corrision and rust. Water, mixed with other acid and bases do. So put MPHD or the like on it. It will be overkill, but I see salt 6 months of the year and my frame looks 100% better than that.

However, with the condition your frame is in now, you'd most likely have to sand it, repaint it, then coat it.
Are you using MPHD on your frame now? Mind posting some pics of what it looks like? I used to coat / re-coat my gen2 Icon leafs to both lube the squeaks and prevent rust… it did reasonably well… but wasn’t necessarily pretty. Curious what it looks like on flat exposed surfaces over time. At least it’s not like typical undercoat that gums up bolt threads, etc. and I’m assuming you have to re-coat reasonably often?

Hard R

Reaction score
Dirt doesn't cause corrision and rust. Water, mixed with other acid and bases do. So put MPHD or the like on it. It will be overkill, but I see salt 6 months of the year and my frame looks 100% better than that.

However, with the condition your frame is in now, you'd most likely have to sand it, repaint it, then coat it.
What condition do you think it is in? To be fair, it looks worse in the pictures but it's pretty much just California and Sedona dirt. There is no rust underneath. I've had the undercarriage looked at and all is normal.

But I am genuinely interested in how one "protects" the underside if it is frequently getting dirty. That MPHD spray can get pretty expensive.

MZRaptor72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What condition do you think it is in? To be fair, it looks worse in the pictures but it's pretty much just California and Sedona dirt. There is no rust underneath. I've had the undercarriage looked at and all is normal.

But I am genuinely interested in how one "protects" the underside if it is frequently getting dirty. That MPHD spray can get pretty expensive.
Agree… I’m curious as well. I went thru a lot of it on just my springs. Also hoping to see some pics of it applied. It seems like it would stay in place as waxy as it is… but my springs would get “dry” and I easily applied twice a year. Usually before going to the beach and before winter…. But could have done more frequently.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using MPHD on your frame now? Mind posting some pics of what it looks like? I used to coat / re-coat my gen2 Icon leafs to both lube the squeaks and prevent rust… it did reasonably well… but wasn’t necessarily pretty. Curious what it looks like on flat exposed surfaces over time. At least it’s not like typical undercoat that gums up bolt threads, etc. and I’m assuming you have to re-coat reasonably often?
Sure, let me see what i can find and get posted.

Its not pretty, it essentially turns everything yellow-ish on the frame, but a yellow frame rail certainly beats rust.

I do a heavy first coat shortly after picking the truck up, and then each year I underneath, see if rust got through anywhere, sand it, touch it up, and reapply where needed. Its about a 3-4 hours initial time investment, then 1-2 hours of touchup each year.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MPHD is like $16 a can, and you use 2-3 to do the truck and your'e done. $50 + $40 in drop cloths is much cheaper than frame damage.

Come out to the rust belt for a winter, we will show you how we protect our cars, otherwise they will literally be eaten away.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree… I’m curious as well. I went thru a lot of it on just my springs. Also hoping to see some pics of it applied. It seems like it would stay in place as waxy as it is… but my springs would get “dry” and I easily applied twice a year. Usually before going to the beach and before winter…. But could have done more frequently.
It dries pretty much solid. I spray it in most places. And for hard to reach places, I will spray a glove and then reach up into the tops of the frame rails to make sure everything is coated.