Shocks shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you adjusted the SDI controller for riding on the street?

Yup, even set all values, front, rear, all and pro settings to zero. All 4 corners show zero a majority of the time unless I really step on it, and still rides like crap. As a test, I reset all the settings back to default, and it was even bumpier.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So bad in fact, on the recent trip I was referring to. Drove from Houston over to 30A in Florida, I had to rent an Expedition because the ride is so ******.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yup, even set all values, front, rear, all and pro settings to zero. All 4 corners show zero a majority of the time unless I really step on it, and still rides like crap. As a test, I reset all the settings back to default, and it was even bumpier.
I looked back, and noticed you reported this kind of symptom first, then rebuilt the shocks.

did the rebuild / controller
1) help, even minimally
2) made no difference
3) made the ride worse

There’s probably a way to check the shocks at each corner based n the voltage(?) I wonder if FORSCAN could do it?

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked back, and noticed you reported this kind of symptom first, then rebuilt the shocks.

did the rebuild / controller
1) help, even minimally
2) made no difference
3) made the ride worse

There’s probably a way to check the shocks at each corner based n the voltage(?) I wonder if FORSCAN could do it?

Yea, I sent the shocks off to SDI for the rebuild, and they did their fancy re-valving as well. If there was a difference, it was hard to tell by my super calibrated seat of the pants shock dyno, possibly even slightly more harsh.

I reverted back to the trucks VDM temporarily as a test, and there was not a significant difference. When I turn all the settings from default to zero on the Eclik controller, you can clearly hear the buzzing from the solenoids is louder, implying that they are in fact applying more power in attempt to open the valve further.

Before I did all this, I did all the digging in forscan I could to see if I could identify a problem. No DTCs, all values reported in the live data from the VDM looked good to me as far as I can tell. Also reverted back to the as-built in the VDM, tested, ride height calibration, tested, etc. None of it seemed to make a difference.

Unless something un-intended happened with the re-valving/rebuilding of the shocks, the only thing I can think of is there is a problem with the live valve mechanism. But according to SDI, while they do not test full operation of the valve, they do apply power to it as they have to open the valve to bleed the shocks, so that shows the valve was at least able to open.

I had also contacted Fox asking the potential for the live-valve mechanism to be faulty/stuck. The response I got back was kind of what I expected, in summary saying that they could not be sure unless I sent them the shocks, but that "it's not an issue I'm familiar with".

The rear of the truck is substantially worse than the front, so I am really close to pulling the trigger on a new set of rear shocks as a test.